Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Heads up on river question

5-10 live.

Few limpers. I complete sb with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Flop comes J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I bet out. 3 callers.

Turn is J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I bet. One caller. MP player. Fairly new to table. Only seen him in 3 or 4 hands but not there long enough to get much of a read. Average on loose/tight, mostly passive.

River is the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I do my little studying the board with a puzzled look act and bet out. He raises. I re-raise. He 4 bets it. At first I figured flush and yippee. He raised with it. On the 4 bet, which is usually a cap but not since heads up, I start to wonder. Now I'm thinking probably gonna split the pot.

No way he would 4 bet flush with 2 pairs on board. But maybe he had AJ. Most of the passive players at table would not raise pre-flop with this in mp. And then on turn, you know, figured he was trying to be crafty mabye with J's full of Aces. But,that's the only hand that can beat me besides pocket 4's or pocket A's. Should I reraise here or just call?
Old 12-11-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Heads up on river question

If you 5 bet, and he 6 bets, is that enough for you to know you're beat? Against an unknown that doesn't look drunk/stupid/etc. I'd probably just call the 4 bet on that board.

I want to guess and say you won this pot when villain shows a4
Old 12-11-2005, 08:00 PM

He probably just has a jack.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:10 PM

Thanks guys. This was my thinking. But when he flopped over 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for not even the NUT flush, I felt like a weak-tight ass for not raising. I tried to console myself with surely I only cost me one BB, but still........ One BB here and there is what makes one a better than average win at the end of the month.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:01 PM

I think very serious consideration should be given to why you are betting this flop. I'm personally checking this flop. Lot's of A-rag hands could be out there. You're very unlikely to take the pot down at this point. You are even beaten by several Js. On average you equity isn't huge and your out of position. Check and use the information that the rest of the betting provides.

River I think you can probably 5-bet and call a 6-bet. AJ usually is raising on the turn in MP, as is 44.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:13 PM

Either you're splitting or losing way too much of the time here. Just call just call just call.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:20 PM

ok i need a read on this guy. live you can tell if someone doesnt know what is going on. and why did you bet out the flop?? i dont get it.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:26 AM

Live, yes, you can pick up a lot. This guy had not been there long and had not been in much, like I mentioned. Of 4 hands only showed down one. I can't remember what it was but no dumb-ass alarms went off.

The bet. Normally I would check there. I was starting to get a lot of respect at table. I was 1 of 3 that showed any aggression. I had 2 or 3 rivers uncalled. Thought I would bet out with 2nd pair and see what happened. Maybe take it away later.

My plan was if I picked up a weak draw I , believe it or not, thought I might get a free card from firs position. This game was sweet. I was up 60 bb's at time, won 81 bb's for night. I know I was getting incredibly lucky ( but I think they thought I was better than I am) and hitting flops and turns like crazy. So, one of those loose moves that really is not wise to do, but I did it anyway.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Either you're splitting or losing way too much of the time here. Just call just call just call.

[/ QUOTE ]