Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: My landlord wants to increase our rent at the end of our lease...

As a landlord I can tell you:

1) You certainly don't need to be deciding now whether you want to renew your lease for 9/06-8/07. Although he might like some idea now, it's awfully early to be getting tenants to decide whether they want to renew nine months from now.

2) Right now you are paying $300/each plus utilities for a personal bedroom, and shared bathroom, living room, kitchen. After the "renovation," you will be paying the same rent but losing a living room, meaning it will be more like living in a dorm or a rooming house.

3) No way would I allow him to begin shutting off the living room during the summer, while you remain a lawful tenant. He only has the right to make necessary repairs, and to show the place to potential tenants if you will be moving. Otherwise, you have the right to full, quiet enjoyment of the entire apartment for as long as you are a lawful tenant. Make sure if you don't plan on staying that he knows that you know your rights.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You certainly don't need to be deciding now whether you want to renew your lease for 9/06-8/07. Although he might like some idea now, it's awfully early to be getting tenants to decide whether they want to renew nine months from now.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is SOP in the student housing market. At least, my landlord, and landlords of most of my friends did. This was in Worcester, MA, so this may vary.

Being a landlord for college kids has it's plusses and minuses. The big advantage is that you have near 100% occupancy, at least if your property is near a school with a relatively low housing supply, like a school located in a city.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You certainly don't need to be deciding now whether you want to renew your lease for 9/06-8/07. Although he might like some idea now, it's awfully early to be getting tenants to decide whether they want to renew nine months from now.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is SOP in the student housing market. At least, my landlord, and landlords of most of my friends did. This was in Worcester, MA, so this may vary.

Being a landlord for college kids has it's plusses and minuses. The big advantage is that you have near 100% occupancy, at least if your property is near a school with a relatively low housing supply, like a school located in a city.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was generally true when I went to PSU. We would usually have to indicate to our landlords by January at the latest if we'd be renewing our lease. Sometimes earlier.

Towards the end of the lease periods, the large apartment owners do painting and other repairs, making the units very uncomfortable to live in for a bit.

In your situation, I'd strongly consider going elsewhere.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:57 AM

would you stay there and pay $900 as it is now?

if you would tell him you'll just pay the $900 and you don't want him to do any renovations. tell him whenever you decide to move out then he can do the reno's if he wants, but for now you'll just pay him $900 and he doesn't need to do anything except fix what is already broken.