Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2003, 08:25 AM

Default Abdul Jalib

Most of the links on www.posev.com are broken. Does anyone know where I can I find more reports from Abdul online?

Any thoughts about Abdul vs. HPFAP preflop strategy?

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Abdul Jalib

Goto to google then groups and do a search on rec.gambling.poker you will get many hits.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:12 PM

If you search the archives here over two years ago and back you will find posts from Abdul as well. Some of them were very good conversations.

Regards,

Paul
Old 11-17-2003, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HPFAP. Dynasty made a post recently that implied that he no longer used the strategy on POSEV, although I can't remember where or in what context.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:59 PM

The real money in holdem is made after the flop, not before the flop. Either preflop strategy will give you a solid foundation upon which you can build your expert-level holdem game.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think either strategy can work. However, I believe that Abdul's article is better for teaching you how to think about preflop decisions. I feel that reading his article led to a breakthrough in my play. For one thing, early in my poker playing career, I was playing preflop pretty much according to Lee Jones WLLHE 1st Edition. This strategy is much too passive. In particular, I like Abdul's technique of thinking of position in terms of how far to the right of the button your are. It makes adjusting to short handed games much easier. I also believe that an agressive preflop strategy is usually best. I'm not as fond of the limp-reraise as Abdul. I will use it occasionally, but I'm much more likely to raise preflop with AA, etc. than limp-reraise. I've never really learned S&M's hand groups. If you aked me which group a particular hand was in, I couldn't tell you, except for group 1 hands. However, I think anybody learning holdem should read Abdul's preflop article. In any case, I think I have moved beyond any kind of set strategy preflop. My decisions are very dependant on opponents and game conditions, as well as what I hold, position and action of opponents ahead of me.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:41 PM

One of the first things I found on the internet regarding hold'em was abdul's site. I printed it and read it over and over again. I still use his method of choosing starting hands based on position from the button. I found his explanations of why certain hands could or could not be played simple to understand.

Old 11-18-2003, 10:15 AM

I agree about the post-flop, and that is the part of the Abdul strategy I mostly could not find. Thanks
Old 11-18-2003, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think either strategy can work. However, I believe that Abdul's article is better for teaching you how to think about preflop decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I think I will use it this way. One of the reasons I enjoy Roy Cooke's book (The Play of the Hands) is he discusses his thought processes throughout the hands. Of course many of the hand posts on this forum do the same [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]