Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Pinstripe suits and job interview

Jake: That was EXACTLY the look I was going for. =)
Old 12-07-2005, 12:40 PM

Are pinstripes more formal/flashy then a solid suit? I made a presentation for a business class in a pinstripe suit and people kept making comments about it. I didn't think it was any more formal/flashy then any other suit.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are pinstripes more formal/flashy then a solid suit? I made a presentation for a business class in a pinstripe suit and people kept making comments about it. I didn't think it was any more formal/flashy then any other suit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that obvious pinstripes are less formal than a solid suit. Pinstripes to me suggest a zoot suit / gangster image. Pretty good for swing dancing, not so good for the boardroom. I don't think I've ever seen a businessman wearing pinstripes. I've got a suit that has faint pinstripes in it, so faint that most people can't tell....but that's not what I'm talking about.

ScottieK
Old 12-07-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that obvious pinstripes are less formal than a solid suit. Pinstripes to me suggest a zoot suit / gangster image. Pretty good for swing dancing, not so good for the boardroom. I don't think I've ever seen a businessman wearing pinstripes. I've got a suit that has faint pinstripes in it, so faint that most people can't tell....but that's not what I'm talking about.

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell ARE you talking about?
Old 12-07-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. I'm wearing a black pin striped suit from Barneys right now and looked totally fine in the Board meeting I just got out of. I wasn't the only one wearing pin stripes. They are, of course, subtle. Although my favorite suit of all time is the one Jalen Rose wore on draft night. Maybe someone who's good at these things can find a pic on the web. It's SOOOOOOOO sweeeeeeeeeeeet.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I don't know what I'm talking about. What I'm trying to say is that wearing a suit with pinstripes you can see from across the room probably isn't appropriate for business professional dress. Unless you're interviewing for a mafia position. Younger guys can get away with flashier colors and patterns in business dress, but I don't think they can get away with this much (like the pics posted.) I'm pretty positive that if I showed up to a meeting wearing a gangsterish pinstripe suit, my boss and my boss's boss would pull me aside and say "don't wear that suit in here ever again."

ScottieK
Old 12-07-2005, 01:19 PM

I found the pic.

Old 12-07-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I don't know what I'm talking about. What I'm trying to say is that wearing a suit with pinstripes you can see from across the room probably isn't appropriate for business professional dress. Unless you're interviewing for a mafia position. Younger guys can get away with flashier colors and patterns in business dress, but I don't think they can get away with this much (like the pics posted.) I'm pretty positive that if I showed up to a meeting wearing a gangsterish pinstripe suit, my boss and my boss's boss would pull me aside and say "don't wear that suit in here ever again."

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully the op realizes this bit of common sense. However, pinstriped business suits are very common.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:49 PM

Every male attorney at the firm where I work wears pinstriped suits on a regular basis.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:58 PM

Pinstripes are fine, provided they are subtle. Navy or charcoal grey suit with light, thin stripes works fine. If you go with a grey suit, pick carefully. Poorly made grey suits look [censored] and cheap.

The tie should match the suit, first and foremost. Nothing loud or obnoxious. Best bet is to go with a diagonal striped tie with at least one of the colors matching that of the suit.