Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 02:28 PM

Default My 1200th post (with a hand)

Anyway just a quick thanks to everyone who has helped me out over the past eleven months. I figured this was a good hand post for my 1200th post because before reading SSHE or becoming a member of 2+2 i would have never played this hand this way.

I was up way to early this morning and decided to play some poker. All tables seemed to be tight passive with a handfull of tags sprinkled in. Man i am glad i don't have to play in the mornings.

Party2/4. Table is tight/passive villian seems taggish.

Pre flop: I raise 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG, UTG+1 3-bets, folds around to me and i call.

Flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I check, villian bets, i raise and villian calls.

Turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I bet and villian calls.

River: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I check, villian bets, i raise and villian calls.

MHIG villian berates me calling me lucky and said "99 isn't a raise utg son". This made me smile.

Pre - cap or call?
Flop and turn - to aggressive against a pre flop 3-bet?
River - FPS or you like?
Old 12-06-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: My 1200th post (with a hand)

I like it all except the river. I'd just bet out. I think you get called >>>> than you induce a bluff. The raise makes no sense. Even though the results are otherwise, I don't see a true tag calling the checkraise with a hand you beat. The vast majority of time he folds the hands you beat and calls with hands that beat yours.

P.S. Congrats on the 1,200 milestone.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:43 PM

I agree. Bet call the river.

UTG raise with 99 makes my nipples hard.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:47 PM

The river check-raise seems a little too risky to me, but it is sexy.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pre - cap or call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just calling the 3-bet would be my default.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop and turn - to aggressive against a pre flop 3-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your line is okay if you're not committed to showing down. If, for instance, you think Villain will play predictably and you can safely release unimproved on the turn versus a flop 3-bet or a turn raise, then that's a time to think about taking your aggressive line versus a preflop 3-bet. (Obviously on the actual turn card you're seeing the river, and I like a bet-call line, following your flop checkraise.)

One thing to consider is that there is a small chance that Villain flopped a flush draw. And if he'll 3-bet overs and a flush draw on the flop, then I'm more inclined to take a check-call approach. (I think the conditions for your aggressive approach are a little more favorable on a rainbow flop.)

[ QUOTE ]
River - FPS or you like?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd probably lead again, on this scary board. But if you think Villain is more likely to bet AKo than call with it, then I like your check.

Apparently in this case you bullied a better pocket pair into calling you down and Villain bet his QQ or JJ or whatnot.

I don't know. I think your check looks kind of suspicious. It looks like you're either scared of the board and are now check-calling or the draw you semi-bluffed on the flop just came in and so you're going for a checkraise.

I don't checkraise the river enough, though, and I can't argue against your results here. The more aggressive Villain is, the more I like it (and I would not want to bet/3-bet the flush card, even if I was given the chance to), but he did seem to slow down quickly on the earlier streets.

Ah, whatever. You went with your read and it worked. Nice hand.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:00 PM

congratulations on your veteran-ship

id bet the river, i think villain has ace high here alot and will let it check through more often than hell bet it, but would probably call a bet
Old 12-06-2005, 03:01 PM

Preflop: If he's a tag he's unlikely to be 3betting you with trash since you raised UTG. I'd place his hand range on TT JJ QQ KK AA AKo AKs, AQs. If you weren't under the gun I would include maybe something like 88, 77, AQo, KQs.

The combinations are as follows:
AA-TT=30 combinations=Behind
AKo,AKs,AQs=20 Combinations=Ahead

You are behind his most likely hand range preflop but it's very close depending on what his 3betting range is. If you include 77,88,AQo, KQs or other hands then a cap is a fine play. A call and a check raise on a favorable flop seems best here.

The hand is played fine till the river. Check raising there is FPS, just lead out. He'll check behind too often to make it a good play and if he's any good he's not calling you with very many hands you're beating

Edit:In retrospect I don't think you have the equity for a check raise on the flop if you only include his hand range as AA-TT AKs,AKo,AQs. You're behind too many combinations and if he's bluffing with AKo you don't want him to fold. A better line might be to call the flop, lead the turn or betting the flop calling a raise then leading the turn and folding to a raise. Another line would be to call flop planning on CR'ing the turn but that's very risky because he may check behind with AK. You'd need a read that he will bet the turn with ace high for this line.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even though the results are otherwise, I don't see a true tag calling the checkraise with a hand you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm wondering if he had TT.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:07 PM

PF is fine.

Flop C/R is standard as is turn bet.

I just lead the river, since nothing guarantees him to bet. I like the sure 1 BB rather than risking ending up with zero for for the chance of getting two. Depends on read I guess. Had he bet the turn and you just called, I could see a river C/R making more sense.

I like getting berated. I usually just say "yeah, I sure got lucky there". BTW, what did he show down with?
Old 12-06-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The combinations are as follows
AA-TT=30 combinations=Behind
AKo,AKs,AQs=20 Combinations=Ahead

You are behind his most likely hand range preflop but it's very close depending on what his 3betting range is. If you include 77,88,AQo, KQs or other hands then a cap is a fine play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind that when we're behind we're way behind, whereas the overcard hands we're beating aren't in such bad shape against us, preflop.

So, for instance, it helps us more if we can add the 12 combos total of 88 and 77 to Villain's range than it helps us to add the 12 AQo combos to his range.

Edit: What I'm getting at is that this is a situation where adding up the combos we're beating and comparing that to the number of combos we're losing to doesn't tell the whole story.