Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Getting value for quad As

gotta bet the river i think. You've given small pairs 2 chances to boat up, and after two rounds of checking they may think they're best even unimproved. without a specific read on one of the villains i don't lead the flop here.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:44 PM

Bet the flop. Someone might call you with a medium PP to see what you do on the turn. Also (not much probable though) the last guy to act might call you with air to see how you react on the turn with the plan to represent an ace.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:52 PM

I think a better title would be "NOT getting value from quad aces"

Preflop you didn't raise 6 more into a pot of 7, you raised 5 more into a pot of 8. Then you flopped the nuts and checked three times. You played it to win a small pot and that's what you got.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:09 PM

Bet the flop, c/c turn, overbet river.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:37 AM

Check it and let someone make a second best strait or flush .. you might get all their money. It did not work out this time, oh well.

This hand bring up fond memories of me flopping quads and leting someone catch up with a flush draw. Yep he made the flush, the only problem was that it was a strait flush. The best part .... he did not realize his flush was a strait flush and flat called my river bet... we both had a lot left to put in.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:52 AM

I appreciate all of the discussion, but if you are giving advice such as "check the flop, bet the turn" let's try justifying it with some reasoning.

Some have suggested that I should make a normal continuation bet on the flop. That sounds reasonable on the surface, but put yourself in my opponents' shoes. This bet comes from first position (I was in the small blind) from the preflop raiser. What sort of hands would they expect me to have given my preflop raise from the small blind? Big pairs or big aces.

Now, what sort of hands do I expect my opponents to hold? They limped and called a modest raise. The first limper was in somewhat early position. He should have raised with a big or medium pair. I know he doesn't have an ace, so I expect him to have KQ or a small pair. He's not going to call a bet on the flop.

How about the next guy? He was facing a limper and still had a couple players to act after him. He chose to limp. Again, we have to rule out an ace. Again, I would expect him to raise with a big pair. He might choose to just limp with a medium one. He might have some weaker high cards or a small pair, perhaps suited connectors.

Now, given those probable holdings and what they should be expecting from me, they aren't going to call any bet unimproved. I think my only hope, was for one of them to be holding a small pocket pair and hit his set, which is a full house, now. If that is the case, I think the way I played the hand was best.

Now, the mystery that you have all been waiting for...
Here is what my opponents actually held:

Early-Mid loose passive player: J8 suited. I guess I was a bit off on my assessment of what he was likely to hold.

Late-Mid unknown player: 77

Maybe I could have sucked a few more chips out of the 77 with a bet, but I would say that is speculative.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think my only hope, was for one of them to be holding a small pocket pair and hit his set, which is a full house, now.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case yes because there was no flush or strait. If someone made a flush or strait you would have probably gotten money out of them even though the board was paired. If someone hits their set you probably get all their money.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:22 AM

I'm gonna make a fishy reply here, but what if you had bet the pet an insultingly small amount such that both the limpers would be compelled to call with any 2?

You have a great boon in that the pot is SO HUGE from pre-flop.

$2 on the flop (into a pot of $23) (+$4 w/both callers)
$4 on the turn (into a pot of $27) (+$8 w/both callers)
$1 on the river (into a pot of $35) (+$2...will someone try to reraise your insulting bets? Then you can min-reraise them, hee-hee! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) Maybe Mr. J8 suited decides "Ah crap, no way I can win this huge pot...but this betting is just stupid. Let me raise it to the pot!"

You'll look like a fish, too if both just call you down for extracting such little value from the nuts. But hey...it's still more than checking it through. My silly line is +6BB above yours...+40ish BB if someone decides to make a play for the pot given the ridiculous line.