Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 08:43 PM

Default AK 50 NL

Ok a friend of mine keeps telling me NL holdem is all luck, he came up with this hand. I am not much of a holdem player, I play more omaha than anything. I dont believe any form of poker is all luck. He didnt give me suits, but he gave me stack sizes and what level he was playing. So heres the hand:

He had A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] He has a 50 dollar stack as does everyone else.

Preflop: He told me he raised to 4 dollars preflop in late position(I assume BB is 50 cents), he got called in 2 spots by players who had called from early position(he didnt tell me positions, but I figured it out based on how he described the hand)

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img](12 in the middle)

The first guy bets pot(12), the second guy folds, then he tells me he moved in.

So anyway he got beat by a set of 7's.

So is the only answer to this, "well you cant do much about hands like this. You just got unlucky this time." Because thats what I told him, but im not very good a NL holdem as I said before.

So what do you guys think? You guys all go broke with this hand?
Old 12-03-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Re: AK 50 NL

Well, when me moves in on him, he can't fold, so, yeah, we all go broke in this spot when we play the hand this way.

This is a spot that is going to be hard to get out of when your stack isnt very deep in relation to the betting size.

In fact, this is why pocket pairs are so valuable in NL Hold'em.

This is perhaps the most classical example of how powerful a set can be.

Tell your friend that the best hand won and not to feel bad about going broke (?) in a game like this with a hand like that.

Tex
Old 12-03-2005, 08:50 PM

Default Re: AK 50 NL

i go broke here sometimes, but not the way he did. i dont see why he pushed this flop, its pretty dry and he is WA/WB here. i like to call the flop bet and proceed from there with the read that i have. if u have a read that hes a donk i go broke if i think he solid i fold to his turn push.

ps- where exactly did he get unlucky? he was behind preflop and way behind on the flop. is it really unlucky to miss perfect runners?