Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2003, 03:59 AM

Default party $50 hand

my longer than expected hiatus from party no-limit is finally over. the tables appear just as profitable as when i left. anyway, on to my hand...

sevenhanded, party $50 table. A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on button, i limp after two limpers. SB calls, BB checks.

flop: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

everyone checks to me, i semi-bluff with a $3 bet, one of the blinds calls.

7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] turns, checked through.

4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] rivers, checked to me. i bet $5, guy check-raises to $10. he has about $15 after that, i have him covered. what's my play? any comments on the rest of the hand are good too.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:15 AM

Default Re: party $50 hand

He has a higher straight, a flush, or is trying to bluff you out.....
Your only logical option is to call his bet.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:54 AM

Probably has a flush. I think your $3 semi-bluff was weak and destined to be called.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:03 AM

it's hard not to call this at 6:1 but expect to lose to a flush

a raise here will not get anything that beats you to fold (small flush? 63? well, maybe 63 but not here!)

Jon
Old 11-12-2003, 08:36 AM

I either move him all in or I just call him. If the guy had been from the UTG position and not the blind I might have moved all in because the only thing he could have would be a flush and I would chance it. But because he was one of the blinds I may be tempted to just call because now the chance of him having the bigger straight go up (and he could have the flush too). But because it is your money I would move him all in...in fact if he made his flush, why isnt He all in? OK, move him all in.

spoody [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2003, 11:09 AM

You have been check-min-raised on the river.

Unless this is an outright bluff, he thinks he has the best hand, and is not going to fold for $15 more.

Your choices are therefore:

- decide you are beaten and fold. I don't like this, just because of the pot odds.

- call and see who wins. Whether you should do this depends on the other choice:

- raise. If he is on an outright bluff, this gains nothing over calling. If not, we are safe to assume you are going to be called. You are essentially getting even money on every dollar you raise by here. So you should raise if you think that you beat more than half the hands he would raise for value here.

There's always some chance on party, of course, but I doubt it's 50% here, since the board is threatening.

I think on balance this is a call.

Guy.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:48 AM

Default Re: results

well, i didn't feel my hand was strong enough to raise, so i called, and he showed the hand that reminded me i was still playing on party...Q4o for a rivered two pair.

this was a nice bright spot in a bad bad session for me.