Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2003, 07:09 PM

Default A10, A9, A8 Help

I play pot limit mostly and these three hands seem to be a problem for me. Assuming there is no flush draw I was wonder how you would play in middle/late position with,

1. 3-5 limpers
2. no one in the pot but the blinds
3. a small raise in front, or behind

A lot of the times I fold when my ace and kicker were good, but an equal amount it seems my kicker is just not enough. Becoming fustrating and lately I've just been chucking them to any action.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:37 PM

Default Re: A10, A9, A8 Help

in my opinion this is all the more reason to fold these hands preflop, especially when not suited. even if they are suited, you can't like aggressive flop betting unless you flop the flush, two pair, or top pair and a flush draw.

flopping an ace doesn't really make you feel good at all about putting the big money in, which is not what you want out of a no-limit hand.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:49 AM

My opinion - the main PL game I play (online) is 0.50/$1 on VC but I wouldn't play too differently on $1/$2 (hope this isn't too low stakes to be applicable)

1. Muck A9, A8 and either raise or limp w/ A10, based on who called the blind and how likely they are to play back with nothing.

2. Raise A10, limp w/ A9 and maybe A8

3. Muck to any raise or reraise, even AJ is in better shape than you - on the flop you'll have no confidence in the money you're putting in unless you get one of the hands crock mentioned.

Jon
Old 11-10-2003, 06:19 PM

You should ask yourself "Is this a hand I can win a big pot with"? If not, muck them preflop. I would normally muck all of them in all of your 3 situations.

I would stealraise with them and limp late after an other late/mid limper.