Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 07:19 PM

Default Hourly Rate/Big Bets per Hour

Im starting get play semi serious limit hold em and limit omaha, started at 1/2 maybe 2/4. Keeping good track of my results, i was wondering what hourly rate or bets per hour does anyone shoot for or have.

Thanks
Old 11-28-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Hourly Rate/Big Bets per Hour

[ QUOTE ]
Im starting get play semi serious limit hold em and limit omaha, started at 1/2 maybe 2/4. Keeping good track of my results, i was wondering what hourly rate or bets per hour does anyone shoot for or have.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything over 0 is good!

I play 2/4 and win at 3.2BB/100 after 15000 hands

Win rate generally is not a reliable stat until 30000-50000 hands, so make sure you don't get caught up in it. Just concentrate on becoming comfortable at your limit and playing sound poker.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Win rate generally is not a reliable stat until 30000-50000 hands

[/ QUOTE ]

closer to 100k is more like it.

1 bb/100 is okay

2 bb/100 is good enough to advance with the proper bankroll

3bb/ is excellent

4bb/ means your lying
Old 11-28-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Win rate generally is not a reliable stat until 30000-50000 hands

[/ QUOTE ]

1 bb/100 is okay

2 bb/100 is good enough to advance with the proper bankroll

3bb/ is excellent

4bb/ means your lying

[/ QUOTE ]

It's important to realize that these change as you move up in limits. Winning at 3 bb/100 may well be realizable at 2/4. Once you get to 10/20 and higher, if you're playing full ring, I doubt such numbers are really attainable.

But who cares? Play well. If you're playing well, the numbers will follow.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:20 PM

Thanks, just to make sure, bb/100 is big bets every 100 hands and thus calculating this for $2/$4 would go as follows (Total Profit/4)/(Total Hands/100)
Old 11-29-2005, 06:30 AM

There's often a tradeoff based on the number of tables you wish to play and bonus/rakeback incentives. I play way too many tables to win 2BB/100 with my skill set. I'm OK with that though as other things make up for it. 1BB/100 is ok with me...not good...but ok
Old 11-29-2005, 08:41 AM

3bb/ is excellent

more like world class
Old 11-29-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You said it. I've got almost 110K hands at Party 2/4 winning 2.19 BB/100. That includes a 40K stretch of winning 1.22 BB/100.

Adding a couple of extra tables *probably* contributed to that extended run of mediocrity, but a lot of the other numbers were down as well suggesting a bit of a bad run.

I learned a few things from that stretch.

1) 40K hands ain't much.

2) I have little idea what my true winrate is.

3) I care about point number two much less than I once did. BB/hr is a number. As a tool, it's blunt and clumsy and crude. Play your best poker hand to hand to hand. Your pretty little BB/hr will get dirty and ugly as you slog through 16K hands of breakeven poker. If you study and practice, you'll improve enough to make your current winrate irrelevant. It's a snapshot that tells you how well you've played, but not necessarily how well you're playing right now. It's a relic. A conversation piece. An old lady's couch covered in plastic. Appreciate it for what it is. Dust it off every now and then. Then get back to doing something useful about improving your poker.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BB/hr is a number. As a tool, it's blunt and clumsy and crude. Play your best poker hand to hand to hand. Your pretty little BB/hr will get dirty and ugly as you slog through 16K hands of breakeven poker. If you study and practice, you'll improve enough to make your current winrate irrelevant. It's a snapshot that tells you how well you've played, but not necessarily how well you're playing right now. It's a relic. A conversation piece. An old lady's couch covered in plastic. Appreciate it for what it is. Dust it off every now and then. Then get back to doing something useful about improving your poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well stated.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:36 PM

I agree with what was said, but.....

It's tough to know what you know without looking at your win rate relative to other players. If all your "sharp" peers are winning 2-3BBs per 100 and you are winning 1BB, then there's obviously a lot of things you are doing wrong. You should read their insights more carefully. If you have a higher win rate than most of your peers, then perhaps you are doing some things right that they aren't.

It seems to me that the correct way to play certain situations is never that clear and you can't be sure if you are playing them right or wrong except by looking at your results.