Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: TT, early in Tilt $11

[ QUOTE ]
M and number of BBs stop mattering once peopl limp/raise in front of you. You could argue that since there are 2 limpers here, he's got an M of like 5 or so, which is about push territory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain???

I would never push this pre-flop, you have plenty of time left. I would bet a little less pre-flop to make it easier to fold/bet on the flop. but 150 vs 200 is close. EP caller, must have a lower PP or something like KQ,KJ, K10, QJ,AJ, A10. AQ and AK are raising pre-flop... So i would really be scared of that Q. Why not do a continuation bet 250 and fold to a push. I fhe calls, you'll have to call unless he goes all-in. Would he bluff with nothing? He will call your all-in with any Q... I don't think all-in is good. Win the pot when ahead and loose everything when behind. Why not check behind and call any bet. If he has the Q, you would have lost anyway. If he has a PP he will likely bet and you extract more money. If he has AJ or KJ (only hands with 2 overpair that don't raise pre-flop), you are 75% favorite even if you check...

I'm not sure about this but a CB or check is better than all-in I think...
Old 11-28-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
M and number of BBs stop mattering once peopl limp/raise in front of you. You could argue that since there are 2 limpers here, he's got an M of like 5 or so, which is about push territory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain???

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's say you have 20 BBs in a tourny with standard blind structure and no antes. You're on the button, and 5 people limp in front of you. You get some hand that you decide is worthy of a raise. There are currently 6.5 BBs in the pot, so a pot-sized raise would be to 7.5 BBs, leaving you with 12.5 BBs. If someone pushes over you, there'll be 33 BBs in the pot, basically meaning you should call with any two. Since the usual standard for when a preflop raise should be a push is when you'd have to call an overpush with any two, your 7.5 BB raise should've been a push.

Does that make sense?

In the specific hand, hero's stack is slightly big for this exact logic to apply, but throw in that TT is uncomfortable to play postflop with this stack, and I think a push is reasonable and might be optimal.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain???

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's say you have 20 BBs in a tourny with standard blind structure and no antes. You're on the button, and 5 people limp in front of you. You get some hand that you decide is worthy of a raise. There are currently 6.5 BBs in the pot, so a pot-sized raise would be to 7.5 BBs, leaving you with 12.5 BBs. If someone pushes over you, there'll be 33 BBs in the pot, basically meaning you should call with any two. Since the usual standard for when a preflop raise should be a push is when you'd have to call an overpush with any two, your 7.5 BB raise should've been a push.

Does that make sense?

In the specific hand, hero's stack is slightly big for this exact logic to apply, but throw in that TT is uncomfortable to play postflop with this stack, and I think a push is reasonable and might be optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I look at the situation somewhat differently. The size of my raise and a subsequent call creates a pot size where any reasonable bet of ~1/2 pot, on the flop commits close to 1/2 my stack, and I can't bet the turn. A CB and a fold would leave me at 10 BBs. Since I cannot make a safe reasonable play on a flop with overcards, it makes more sense, in this case, to push preflop. In addition, in terms of FTOP, the villain makes a much larger mistake calling 800 to make 880 with a hand like KJs or A9 against my reasonable pushing range:55+, AQs+, AQ+, than he does calling 160 more for 280 against my 5x raise range which is pretty enormous. (22+,A2s+,78s+,JTo+,ATo+,KJ,KQ-pardon any redundancy)

Thinking again, I think my question is: I don't want to worry about overcards on the flop. Is it reasonable to push 20BBs over two limpers with TT? I'm thinking it's ok.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:51 AM

I have a different philosophy. Some of the advice doesn't make sense to me. I wonder what the record of the advisor. I play as gambelero on stars and gambelero2 on pr. You can look up results in the data bases.

With 1100, 1200 or more I would try to avoid going broke if someone outflopped me with qj, ak, or whatever.

With 840 left, though, I need to win a hand and want to play the hand to win the maximum if it is good, not save money if someone has the majic q (or a set or something). I try to encourage my opponent to make a mistake, but not give up too much by doing so.

Checking is dead wrong. The fact that you even considered it makes me wonder about the level of your play. Checking allows someone who has no interest in the pot (many fish will limp with ax, k9, and similar trash). Give them a free card and they catch a k to k9 or a to ax and you've just given away $500.

I would try to bet it as if I had Aj, A10 or some similar hand and I'm just defending my raise. Now as one poster noted, a lot of weak player may give action with a8 a7, a small pp, or even Aj or Kj themselves. Because you have so little money, anyone that calls will likely raise and put you all-in in this situation. Thus, you probably cannot get away from the hand if raised. (Note if you have a much larger stack, a check raise would usually indicate a q.)

My answer is bet 240. This bet encourages a bad play by hands you have beat and forces a fold by the disinterested hands. Ddon't try to save money on the hand if you are beat.