Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2003, 10:16 PM

Default POST #2 - Some pokertracker observations

POST #2 - POKERTRACKER OBSERVATIONS

OK..... let me start by stating that these posts may NOT belong technically in the small stakes forum, but I feel that this is where I'm best known, so that's the reason for posting here.

For starters, these stats come from a database of 17,178 hands

What I want to start with are some of the surprising hands that I are losers for me. I will post stats for each hand, and how I typically play them PF......

HAND..TIMES.....WIN%....$WON....VP$IP....PFR%....W $SD
AQs.......50.......32.00.....-2.25...100.00%..74.00%..40.00%
AQo......155.......30.97.....-7.85....96.77%..65.16%..42.86%
KQs.......53.......22.64....-39.15....94.34%..58.49%..33.33%
JTs.........51.......21.57.....-8.75....76.47%...0.00%..36.36%
TT..........75.......33.33.....-4.95....93.33%..50.67%..33.33%
66..........87.......22.99.....-5.65....83.91%...1.15%..40.00%

The ones that really surprise me are AQs and KQs..... KQs seems to be a BIG loser for me. I cannot really understand why... usually, I will raise with this hand from ANYWHERE... the reason for the low PFR% is becasue either I don't 3-bet with it, or because some of these stats are before I learned alot about playing. From what I can see, most of my loss from KQs comes from overplaying the hand or playing it too far into the game.... I need to learn WHEN to fold KQs... any suggestions regarding this?

As far as AQs goes, it seems to be the same as KQs... not knowing when to fold..... maybe there's a pattern here.....

From what I can see, everything else falls into the same category.. .NOT KNOWING WHEN TO FOLD.....

Since I've come to this conclusion, which I would say is maybe 60%-75% of my problem with these hands, I need to find out what I can do about it.... If anyone has any info, please let me know... If hand histories would help, I'll post them.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:13 PM

Default Re: POST #2 - Some pokertracker observations

I think you are going to showdown too much with the worst hand. I have not had 66 as many times as you (only 31) but have won 100% of showdowns. I'm sure over time this number will go down slightly but you probably shouldnt be at showdown with this hand unless you have a set, and you shouldnt lose too many showdowns with a set. The other hands are of course a little more difficult to play for instance TT you will have to see some showdowns even when overcards flop. You will have to lose some of these. But those W$SD numbers are too low.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:21 PM

Default Re: POST #2 - Some pokertracker observations

That is pretty interesting -- all of those hands are winners in my database, some of them pretty significant. Most of these aren't losing much, but the fact they aren't winning indicates something. With KQs you might be running into a lot of dominating hands which accounts for your larger loss. I often don't raise with KQs (as indicated by my 47% PFR%); I'm unsure if this is a mistake or not.

Without seeing specific hand histories, I might recommend not pushing hands you raised preflop so hard (ie betting after a preflop raise when you dont hit anything). The fact that JTs is on this list (it's a very significant winner for me) suggests to me you might be chasing too much either on poor draws or just suited overcards, so be aware of this.

On another note, I find this to be a very useful part of pokertracker. I found I had significant losses with KTs, QJo, and KJo as well as smaller losses with many suited connectors. Consequently, I've drastically cut down on the amount I play these hands, especially from EP and MP, which I think has helped my game a lot. Hopefully you can gain similar benefit from this data.

I don't think I helped a whole lot but hopefully some others can fill in. Also, a few hand histories would probably help.

edit: After seeing balkii's post I looked at my numbers and agree your W$SD are all too low. I think this indiciates not so much flimsy draws as flimsy holdings. Are you often calling down with these unimproved?