Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 10:05 PM

Default Welcome to NL, have an awkward situation

Online. I have $500 and the button has $400. He seems good, and knows some other players.

A LP player limps and the button limps. I check in the BB with J9 with the 9 of spades.

The flop is JT8 and 3 spades. I bet $10 into a $14 pot, and the button raises to $25. Yuck.

Thoughts? lines? Help?

Jason
Old 11-23-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Welcome to NL, have an awkward situation

he probably doesn't have an ace of spades in the button due to his call so it is probably safe to say he might have a high card or put you on a spade draw that he wants to make pricey for you

i would call and then check/raise or check/fold if the turn doesnt help
Old 11-23-2005, 10:08 PM

im calling and check-raising turn if it helps and consider calling his bet if it im getting the correct odds + impied odds if there are any against this opponent.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:21 PM

I'm calling. I'm not giving him credit for a flush just yet. Reevaluate on the turn. C/r if you hit the straight. Careful if the Jack pairs, as QJ/JT is possible for villian. Lead for 2/3 pot if a spade hits. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2005, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Online. I have $500 and the button has $400. He seems good, and knows some other players.

A LP player limps and the button limps. I check in the BB with J9 with the 9 of spades.

The flop is JT8 and 3 spades. I bet $10 into a $14 pot, and the button raises to $25. Yuck.

Thoughts? lines? Help?

Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

You have an OESFD, right? It costs you $15 to win $49. You both have super deep stacks. Call, based on the implied odds of hitting your SF and the fact that you still have the best hand. Re-evaluate the turn depending on what falls.

I'd say that since you are up against a good opponent and you are OOP, you can't really get too aggressive yet. But, since opponent is good and at 6-max this probably means aggressive, I don't think you can be sure that you are even behind.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:53 AM

I have OESF, but the board has 3 spades on it already. I guess the best thing is to call and lead the turn, or to fold? I can't see calling with the intention of folding to a turn bet or calling a PSB on the turn.

Jason

P.S. It was full table.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:58 AM

I do something other than fold for sure....probably call and lead the turn, possibly c/r the turn.