Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2003, 09:59 PM

Default VERY valuable lesson

Valuable lesson to be learned from this hand... always bet the nuts, even if you are sure that you will split the pot.

Party Poker 0.50/1 (9 handed)
Hero has A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and is MP3

UTG limps, EP1 limps, MP1 limps, Hero limps, Button raises, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, EP1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls

Flop(14 SB): J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets, EP1 folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls, Button raises, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls

Turn(10.5 BB): J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

MP1 checks, Hero checks, Button bets, MP1 calls, Hero calls

River(13.5 BB): 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

MP1 checks, Hero bets, Button raises, MP1 calls, Hero 3-bets, Button calls, MP1 calls

MP shows 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Button shows K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2003, 10:18 PM

Default Re: VERY valuable lesson

what's with the lack of check-raise on the turn? were you afraid an ace would come on the river or something?
Old 11-05-2003, 10:26 PM

He shouldn't even fear an ace on the river. He has the mortal living nuts on the turn, which is all the reason to go ahead and raise the turn.

At these limits, people see quads on the board and automatically assume they'll chop. Even more the reason to raise the turn -- unless you have absolute certainty that your opponents will call and make extra bets with less than the nuts on the river.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:21 AM

There was no raise on the turn because I am stupid and assumed that no one would call without the Ace... I realized the error of my ways very quickly, but I just wanted to post this as a reminder of how easy it is to assume a chop when it isn't gonna happen [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Basically, I felt stupid and thought I would share.