Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 01:23 AM

Default Re: SO how long have you been playing 10/20 or lower?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I don't think things are necessarily bad. It is just that when I first started 5/10 full and then 5/10 short, now 10/20 full. I just get the feeling I am not too far ahead of the "raging horde".

Now at the 5/10 levels, I feel I have a sufficient edge. Which is not to say that I am smacking them around and about to start making Bicyclekick style posts about how I destroy games. But yes comfortable at 5/10.

However through my first 5,000-7,000 hands at 10/20, I really don't see/feel a very comfortable edge at this point. Even moreso than I did starting 5/10, except it is more pronounced.

I realise that I will continue to adjust. But my mind is on the higher levels as well. When I look at how much effort/thought I had to put into 5/10 and now seeing that I have my work cut out for me at 10/20. I just wonder how many more times I can pull off the level jumping thing.

It just seems for some people these transitions are reltively effortless. The fact that I have to work so hard to do it makes me wonder if I have some inherent defect when it comes to poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flair, for what it's worth your PT stats look pretty good from the times I've played against you. Come to think of it, everyone's stats look good when they play against me. Maybe you just need to find more fish like me!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike, you are far from a fish.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Which is not to say that I am smacking them around and about to start making Bicyclekick style posts about how I destroy games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead you're going to make posts about how you really aren't very good and aren't going to be able to beat the higher games and take another shot at me.

I really don't get why you have so much hostility towards me...but that must be how people do it up in lindstrom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyhow, the post here was not a shot.. it was a figure of speech.

The post in Mid-high was poor wording. I guess I could have said... around February-March... Mid-high became less strategy oriented and more winrate/results oriented.

Also more anecdotal type hands that fewer people could relate too. For instance "$xxxx/$xxxx hand vs. (Insert name of specific player that less than 20 people on the board have played against)"

In retrospect, I should not have singled you out specifically, however you are the person that comes to mind when I think of those types of posts.

BTW, most people in Lindstrom are much nicer than me. I am originally from the Twin Cities, there are many more assholes there.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:24 AM

I've been playing a year and a half, started Nov. 04 at .5/1 and currently play 3/6 6m with stops at 1/2, 2/4, 3/6 full and 6m, and a 7k stint at 5/10 full. I recently took 2 months off online and used to play about 40-50 hours/month. I play mostly B&M 6/12-8/16 as i'm keeping my online bankroll seperate from my live bankroll, but I might get in a 10/20 that's good sometime.

I feel like my learning has definitely plateaued, as I don't get the revelations that I used to reading here. I also could use some work on trying to push people off weak hands and reading when they're making a play based upon their reading of my hand. Reading hands well and setting up players for the maximum value.

I'm not stopping moving up, but I am (overly) cautious.

-d
Old 11-22-2005, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also could use some work on trying to push people off weak hands and reading when they're making a play based upon their reading of my hand. Reading hands well and setting up players for the maximum value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, exactly.

This is an area I have been giving a lot of thought.

IMO, these hands do not post well on the board. Because they look very simaliar to spewing. So it is hard to get an in-depth conversation going on these situations.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like my learning has definitely plateaued, as I don't get the revelations that I used to reading here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in the same boat. A few things helped, lots.

Read the Mid high forums. Lots of good stuff there.

Read some HUSH [censored]. Less good, but still some stuff.

Get some people to watch you play, talk about hands, etc. There's a group of 10/20 player who do this--its only come off a couple of times so far--but it was extremely benficial the first time. The second time was just me and shant, and I was drunk, so that wasn't really great. (Sorry, brother.) But the time before there were three of us, and we were even sitting at the same table. No colluding or other such nonsense, but, really this is a good way to spot leaks and talk about hands and whatnot. The other guys were making folds I wouldn't think to make. They were doing other things which I liked and thought about adding to my game.

But, yes, plateued was the exact word I used. And I misspelled it then too.

Sucks. Its fairly simple to be competent at this game. But its really [censored] hard to be great.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:51 AM

I've been playing for about a yr now, only serious since about April

I'm inbetween 3/6 and 5/10 6max .. not sure where my peak is