Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 04:11 AM

Default AK--change of mind

A few hands into the table.

I raise UTG($200) with AK. Villian($220) calls in MP and the button($80) calls.

Flop is K75 and no suits. I bet out $20 into a $25 pot, and only Villian calls.

Turn is another 5, bringing two spades. I check, not wanting to play a big pot out of position, and call his $20 bet. I feel like this bet could be anything, from quads(just trying to keep me in with what appears to be a weak hand) to a bluff, to a value bet.

The river is a 2, bringing the backdoor flush. Sometimes I fire out 1/2-3/4 on the river as a value/blocking bet, but this time I elected to check and probably call.

He bets $25 into a $105 pot. I am pretty sure he expects me to call given the way the action went and that size bet. I would think he would bet more with a monster as well, given the size of the pot.

How good/bad is a raise on the river here? Perhaps a minraise, to get a little value? or a little more than a minraise, to $75 perhaps?
Old 11-21-2005, 04:17 AM

Default Re: AK--change of mind

River c/r very bad. He only calls or 3-bets with hands crushing you. Blocking for 1/2-3/5ths pot is a nice move too, but you'd probably have to call a minraise, given how passively you played the hand.

The Doc
Old 11-21-2005, 04:21 AM

I think he calls a min-c/r with most Kings here in this spot. But, I'd rather not reopen the betting on the off chance he does have something bigger. If you wanted more value out of the hand you should have continued in control of the hand by leading it yourself, so just call and take your medicine. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 04:43 AM

As it played out I just call. I then probably kick myself when I see I had him dominated.