Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2003, 06:40 PM

Default AJo in the BB. Too aggressive?

Party Poker 0.50/1 (10 handed)
Hero has Ac, Jd and is BB

UTG folds, EP1 calls, EP2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO raises, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls, EP1 calls, EP2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls

-- Should I have called here? I don't much like AJo after a raise, but I'd seen the CO raise a bunch of limpers with A7s earlier in the session, although his raises were usually better cards than that.

Flop(14.5 SB): 9s, Jc, 5c

Hero checks, EP1 checks, EP2 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, CO bets, Button calls, Hero raises, EP1 folds, EP2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button calls

-- I was hoping to see if the CO was on a big pair or overcards. I also was hoping to knock out any gutshots and punish any better draws.

Turn(10.25 BB): 6h

Hero bets, CO calls, Button folds

-- No resistance yet. I'm thinking CO is on AK/AQ and I'm ahead.

River(12.25 BB): 8d

Hero bets, CO calls

-- Did I play this OK? I've been working on tightening up my PF play (I'm down to about 16% paying to see the flop), but I recognize that my post-flop play is in general very poor. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:46 PM

Default Re: AJo in the BB. Too aggressive?

You had TPTK, and in the face of very little resistance, raise the flop and bet the turn and river. What's not to like?
Old 11-04-2003, 06:53 PM

Hi Peter,

You should not be calling a raise with AJo here. I realize that you are in the BB so it is only costs you half to call his raise, but not only is your hand likely to be dominated, but also AJo just does not play well in a multi-way raised pot. Flopping a Jack is vulnerabl ewith so many people in, and even if you Flop an Ace you will get chased and they will usually be correct to chase. And, you are out of position. This is just a mess you don't want to get yourself in to.

You played the rest of the hand well.

-Brian
Old 11-04-2003, 07:21 PM

Thanks.

I hated myself for making that call. I (almost) always fold it to a raise. I'm not sure what evil spirit made me call it in this case. I guess that I just disrespected the CO's raising standards enough to do it for 1/2 price [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img].
Old 11-04-2003, 07:37 PM

Maybe its just me but at 13.5:1, I think you can see a flop with AJo, even against 6 opponents. I would think your hand dominates more than its dominated. Your opponents probably let you draw to gutshots cheaply or otherwise play badly, so I make this call.

The key is that the raiser is not a tight raiser. If he does show you that he has the goods on the flop, find the strength to fold top pair on the turn.

Not to be results oriented, but I suspect the way your hand actually played out occurs quite often. (Assuming you won! If you lost, well, don't be so results oriented!)
Old 11-05-2003, 12:11 AM

Default Results

CO takes it with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Old 11-05-2003, 12:27 AM

I would have folded the hand to a raise, but I think your post flop play was fine.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:41 PM

I would always call this pre-flop, especially with this many callers. When you get more then 10:1 I think you can always call any paint cards. I don't think you made any mistakes, the CO did. What does the rest think? I just don't agree with folding this pre-flop.