Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 12:19 AM

Default Re: What is the \"standard play\" here

bet and call a raise. he might have weaker king, underpair, more likely busted draw.

What could a 'thinking player' have here?
called raise from BB, c/r on turn.
A. if he thinks you have a king: AA, KK, KTs KJs KQs, K7s?
B. If he thinks you dont have king: any pair over 7s.. maybe more?

Brian
I'd put him on fl draw, maybe king with weak suited kicker that picked up fl drw.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:58 AM

A player with the third 5 doesn't check the river.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:18 AM

Grunch. New to SH.

Hero bets and folds to a raise, if he's a reasonable player. If he's a complete LAG, I'd probably call a raise.

But since he's a "thinking player" I doubt that he'd go for a check/raise twice in a row. That's stupid unless, of course, he thinks you think it's stupid. Reasonable players just bet out their trip 5's, not get greedy. I'd expect a missed flush draw or perhaps a weaker K or other pair.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'd 3-bet the turn. We have a good hand HU. If he caps, then it's time to re-evaluate and worry.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:39 AM

is bet/fold too weak? I don't think any worse hands are c/r-ing here...
Old 11-20-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, villian is to my right. he just sat down, but i think i've played against him before and he is a thinking player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the term "thinking player". It doesn't accurately describe anything. Is villain tricky/aggressive? Does he make plays based on the board? Does he read hands well and makes good folds?

Against an aggressive player, I check behind. Most likely, he check-raise bluffed (or semi-bluffed) the turn and you called, leaving him with junk on the river. If he's got a lot of nerve, he will check-raise the river and you'll be unhappy about calling.

Against a tricky player, he may be trying a double check-raise with a 5. Since you called his turn raise, he's thinking you've got enough of a hand that you would want to value bet the river, then he's going to have you crushed if you pay him off, which you may or may not do.

Against a hand-reading player, I check behind as well. He's probably going to fold because otherwise he would have bet so that you could not check behind. The only hand that would gain from this play is a medium pair, AND he would need a read that says you will autobet the river when he checks to you, but will not call a bet.

The types of players against whom I would value bet are those who are straight-forward loose passive. There's also a benefit to seeing what he shows down here, because turn check-raises are very meaningful and intentional plays which can give you lots of insight into villain's playing style.