Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 02:21 AM

Default Re: VPIP and strategy, how to adjust for higher limits

Thats some great advice, and I like the mindset for trying the higher tables. Right now I have an 8k roll, so I'm thinking I'll set aside maybe 600$ per month trying to get into 1/2. If I lose the 600$ I can cut-off the 1/2 for the month, and I'll keep doing it until I feel I'm beating the games. I figure I can do 1 or 2 tables of it at a time.

As far as poker as a career, it does get tedious, its just better than anything I could get right now. Maybe I could go back and finish college, who konws what happens. I sure hope poker doesn't die any time soon though.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thats some great advice, and I like the mindset for trying the higher tables. Right now I have an 8k roll, so I'm thinking I'll set aside maybe 600$ per month trying to get into 1/2. If I lose the 600$ I can cut-off the 1/2 for the month, and I'll keep doing it until I feel I'm beating the games. I figure I can do 1 or 2 tables of it at a time.

As far as poker as a career, it does get tedious, its just better than anything I could get right now. Maybe I could go back and finish college, who konws what happens. I sure hope poker doesn't die any time soon though.

[/ QUOTE ]

1/2 NL? or just 1/2 limit?
Old 11-20-2005, 02:26 AM

Hrm, well he either has a set or just a pair, and my read on the line he took was that he had me on a continuation bet and was trying to get me out on the turn, most likely. I don't think he called with Qx, he probably had an underpair. So hes got 2 outs probably, so I just called teh turn, feeling confident I have implied odds against a set or can bluff him on the river.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:27 AM

1/2 NL
Old 11-20-2005, 04:14 AM

Why not raise preflop vs thight blinds?
Old 11-20-2005, 04:37 AM

datamine the hell out of the level that you want to move up to and buddy list all the fishies. jump in the games when they're online. it's only 1/2, there are plenty of donks still. since you prefer a low variance style, search for the loose passive players. since fewer players will let themselves get stacked as you move up, we need to get our edge in in other ways. by datamining and understanding how people's hand ranges interact with their betting patterns you should be able to come up with some player models for different board textures and figure out what the most you should be paying off on those hands that they may have hit. by limiting the value they extract from you, you take away their implied odds and over time this will make up for loss in winrate due to slightly fewer fishies. or you can switch to 6 max where the pond is never empty.