Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 05:27 PM

Default WSOP Xbox game - Future Donkeys of the World

My co-worker let me borrow a rented version of that WSOP Xbox game last night.

Holy Shinola! Now I think I know why Chris Ferguson promotes the game, to teach the young breed of poker player that it is correct to call allins with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

It is supposed to be set up like the actual 2005 WSOP with 5600 players, 9 days of poker, 10,000 chips starting stack, etc..

So I am kind of jazzed to break up my 14 hour a day online limit grind with this cheesy video game. I figure I can donk it up, reraise with air, all the usually fun stuff.

So I start playing and it turns out that EVERY SINGLE PLAYER is built to be a total donkey! It was the worst play I have ever seen, even worse that your normal $1$2 NL game.

I figure if I want to win the thing, I better play pretty tight. Fold after fold after fold, I started to realize that the garbage hands I was folding were ALL hitting the board strong. So I switched it up and started playing every hand.

I finished 2nd and won $7 Million fake bucks.

Do you think this is a conspiracy set up by Ferguson to teach kids how to play like donkeys? Hmm....
Old 11-17-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: WSOP Xbox game - Future Donkeys of the World

Heh, that's about what most poker video games I've played are like. Computer donk cc's a five bet with J-2os only to have them spike a J on the river for two pair.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:47 AM

Daniel Negreanu's Stacked is supposed to be super good when it finally releases in February I think? It's been pushed back a few times.

I'm trying to teach a friend to play and he thought the game was "really really accurate"...I guess I have a lot more work to do.

P.S. Just try playing the Stud events...NO ONE FOLDS.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:52 AM

I haven't played it on XBox, but did play briefly at a home game when a friend had it on PSP. I thought the AI was absolutely horrible, but it was somewhat fun. Doesn't compare to the real thing though. Why play this when you can play for real? It's obviously geared to the teenagers. And when they do play it, it's gonna cause some really BAD habits to sink in.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's obviously geared to the teenagers. And when they do play it, it's gonna cause some really BAD habits to sink in.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point exactly. This might be the sneaky plan of the pros.? More Donks = +EV

I am sure they are just trying to make the game more fun, which is OK, but most people will think that you really should play that way.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Heh, that's about what most poker video games I've played are like. Computer donk cc's a five bet with J-2os only to have them spike a J on the river for two pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, right! It's rediculous!!@ You just can't get these bozos to fold...I was playing this one online, called Poker Party '05, losers are moving in pf with nothing, putting their tournament lives on the line with JUST A DRAW! Terrible. You have to play Stacked to get a player to lay down KK preflop...much higher quality of play.

! () !
Old 11-18-2005, 12:54 PM

Uh, yeah. You should try the "Hold 'em" game on MSN if you want to see something really absurd.

Link
Old 11-18-2005, 01:31 PM

The problem with any of these games, always, is that you aren't putting up any money. If it's free you may as well be stupid.

My friends are TV poker players and I encounter the same problem when we're sitting around drinking and they want to play some cards. Except for nothing. It totally defeats the purpose. Hell, throw 2 bucks in a pot.

The thing is, they think I'm trying to con them by trying to get them to play with incentive, but I honestly don't think you can learn the game without having "something" to lose, no matter how little.