Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 04:05 AM

Default Re: New iRiver

I bought an iPod and I didn't like it. I rock a discman, with those same shure headphones mentioned previously.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:28 AM

I've got a CD player that'll play MP3's so when I go somewhere, I'll pull down about 12 albums for it - I can listen to that all week long -

RB
Old 11-17-2005, 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone still rockin a CD Player

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and I'm really starting to feel like a tool for it. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Let me ask this question real quick: if I decide to go the iPod route (which I am considering more and more every day), how much time does it take, per CD, to load it up? I am obsessive about getting things like this completed, and this seems like it will take a long time to do all the CDs I will want, which is mostly the reason why I have been avoiding getting one.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and I'm really starting to feel like a tool for it. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Let me ask this question real quick: if I decide to go the iPod route (which I am considering more and more every day), how much time does it take, per CD, to load it up? I am obsessive about getting things like this completed, and this seems like it will take a long time to do all the CDs I will want, which is mostly the reason why I have been avoiding getting one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on your CD-rom drive. Ones that are several years old take about 45 minutes to rip. Anything less than a year old will take around 10 minutes. You can try ripping a CD with Windows Media Player (or just download iTunes) to get a feel for it.

You'll need a USB 2.0 card (or firewire) in your PC for fast downloads to the iPod.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you watch TV or player p*ker? If so, it takes no extra time. Just make a big stack of CDs and sit there ripping while you are engaged in the other activity. They will even auto-eject when they're done being ripped.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:14 PM

I've got a small one, just a 512mb iRiver. I don't need much. I usually just use some old Sony headphones I have hanging around when I'm doing the lawn or something or hook it right up to speakers whenever convienient.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:17 PM

I have a Creative Zen Xtra with 60 gb. At the time (like a year ago) I got it for $250, when the same capacity Ipods went for $499. It just wasn't worth the extra cash to get the prettier and slightly smaller Ipod. I really like the player I have.

The software on the actual player is proprietary and definitely not as good as either Media Player or ITunes, but it works well enough for what I need. I basically create big playlists using WMP on the computer and then just pick a playlist and let it run for a few hours. The machine is too big to comfortably carry it in a jeans pocket, but it seems you always have a coat pocket or bag to put it in so it's not really a problem.

Finally, the headphones that came with the Creative player sucks as bad as the Ipod ones. I went with the cheaper Sony earbud things, and I definitely don't regret that upgrade. All in all it's not as cool as an Ipod, but it plays music just as well, and it holds all of the music I currently have and has room for a good 20gb of future additions.

Swede
Old 11-17-2005, 12:26 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

I have the same, only 30 GB. I really don't like it very much, as it's freaking bulky as hell and the software sucks. My reasons for purchasing it echo yours, and I don't necessarily regret it. It's okay, but I would not recommend it to anyone, especially now that iPod's prices have dropped so much.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:33 PM

i went to the website to see what the iriver was. it reminds me of something my cheap dad would get me instead of buying the real name brand thing that i wanted. sucked then, but not necessarily bad as i'm a more rational adult.

first off, to me, their website was almost completely unusable. and i couldn't figure out if they had a player larger then 20gbs.

B their U10 or whatever it is, when you check it out, they have some flash thing that completely rips off apple's silhouettes marketing campaign. WTH? why didn't they just name it the ipad.

just a few pointless observations
Old 11-17-2005, 12:39 PM

iRiver software rips cd's faster than ipods and is easier to use. You can work directly with Windows Media. That's why I like it. The iRiver players can also be used as voice recorders and as FM radios.

I've never had a problem navigating their website.