Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 05:17 AM

Default Re: Waiting until the river to raise

Raising turn in this hand is a big misstake against a TAG. You are then raising him on only street where he easily can get away from his worse hand, it makes no sense.

When you flop a superstrong hand like this HU with position u got 2 basic options.

1) Play it fast and hope he will think u are on a steal/draw and call down with worse hand.

2) Call flop, turn and raise river, hoping he bet a worse pair or bluff all way.

Raising turn should be saved for bluffy LAGs that always call if they already put in a bet on turn, and when flop is superdrawish and u think they will call your turnraise since they are betting their draw (and u want to see turn before raising since it could kill your hand).

Since u missclicked and called preflop its easier to play it fast on flop. If u raised preflop he will think A is yours. Its also better to play it fast when flop is drawish.

In this actual hand I think u can just mix it up, but play it faster a little more often (since u slowplayed him preflop) but not every time since there are no draws he can put you on so its easier for him to fold.

U should raise a lot on this spot preflop as long as u dont see him limp with monsters and fold others. A limp is normally weak and if flop comes with high cards u want to put the pressure on him with your preflopraise. Also, people bluff less if u raise preflop, which in a way is bad by them cause pot is bigger so they actually should bluff more if they knew u were raising really light from BB.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:23 AM

I actually think that raising the turn here is poor: it often fails to get the maximum value out of the hand in a tiny pot that you don't need to protect. The river raise is really good against players who will pay off with any worse made hand for one more bet. There are some players, though, where I wonder if the times you actually get paid make up for the times where you're behind. Judgement call, I think.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since u missclicked and called preflop its easier to play it fast on flop. If u raised preflop he will think A is yours. Its also better to play it fast when flop is drawish.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this.