Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Small pair gets reraised preflop by short stack

Bizaff,

I understand what you're saying. That rule can be rephrased (in part) as "if you're getting worse than 10:1 on your money with a small pair preflop, fold", wouldn't you agree? And as you can see, I am only getting 9:1 in the described situation. So even with what you said in mind, it still appears to be a fold.

Komodo,

Suppose you have no raed on the player. Why do you not see why to fold this? This is not straightforward of course, but for one thing, consider that you'll flop a set 1 in 8.5 times. Some of those times, the other guy will have a higher set, or catch a good draw to beat you by the river anyway. And if you don't catch the set, y9ou're in no position to take initiative back. With only 9:1 odds on your money, lots of reasons can be found to fold this.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:16 PM

Hmm, that's a good question. I'm probably calling and hoping to spike a set. Depending on the villian I'll check to him and see what he does if I don't hit it.

This is gonna sound kinda loony, but is there a %to fold chance that would make pushing your stack profitable here with a pair?
Old 11-16-2005, 09:19 PM

These situations bug me too. I don't play 6-max, but at the stars full ring games there are lot's of shortstacks that sometimes makes plays like this (I think they're often looking for a potsize on the flop that let's them get allin pretty fast so that they won't have to play poker). This is frustrating because all your implied odds hands loose value and you most often fold them preflop to raises.

Agaist these kinds of players I like TPTK/TPGK good and high pairs good (If I got high pairs I raise them allin preflop). Calling their raises with AK AQ and maybe even KQ I think can be good. If you give them a little initiative on the flop they will often hurry their stacks in there with an underpair or missed high cards.

I never raise a shortstacks blinds with SC or small pairs