Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Good spot to fold the bottom set? - 1/2 6max

i like 3betting the flop and pushing the turn.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:32 PM

Your description of UTG makes it seem less likely he has a flush draw. An unimaginative player probably would call with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] to keep people in the pot as the nut flush draw and overcard would seem to be a pretty strong hand against that flop.

I think UTG most likely has a pocket pair, but not a set. As others note, JJ and 66 are possible, but set over set is fairly uncommon. I'd be willing to go broke with any set if the board doesn't show a straight or flush being likely.

I would probably call the flop raise and push the turn. I would lean toward reraising the flop only if necessary to get the SB out. I hate being outdrawn by donks.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:53 PM

With his call pre flop, and not reraised, you can't put him on JJ I don't think. At this point in time, on that kind of flop, I would most likely put him on AJ or possibily KJ of spades raising with top pair and strong flush draw. Maybe even has 3/5 of spades... who knows.

But my advice here would be to definately re-raise the flop to find out if you have it here or not. Your just unlucky if he has a higher set then you.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think villian has something like KJ spades, AJ spades, or even QJ spades. Its less likely he has a smaller flush draw or AJ of some other suit. I think you have to push the turn and hope another spade doesnt come. Anyone agree with my line?

[/ QUOTE ]

me
Old 11-16-2005, 03:16 PM

Default RESULTS

Thanks for the replies.
As it looks, the large majority of the posters gets involved here.
For the flop, I still don't like raising, especially as opponent is more on the tight side. According to the Fundamental Theorem of Poker, this just seems very wrong to me. I clearly want to keep hands like AJ or QQ in play. They might be to PCed on turn to fold. I prefer to lose action on 1/4 turn cards, compared to losing him 100% on my flop reraise.

I pushed the turn, somehow having this strong feeling, I need to river the last 4 to win.
He insta called and his 66 held up.

If the board was KQ4, I could see him having 2 pair, here I couldn't. He doesn't seem like a guy who will play for his stack with a draw or a 1 pair hand. (Remember, pot was just minraised.)
Maybe I'm a bit paranoid after having had a bad month so far, but I'm still inclined to say that this probably was a good spot to go with my reads and fold, maybe right on flop... but then again this little voice in my ear convinced me to never fold a set with 100BB on this kind of board.