Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 10:48 AM

Default Re: how\'s my river play?

I’d check/call. Why? What are button and MP1 calling down with? In fact, you are the PFR and 3 people called your flop bet with an A on board. You think one of them has an A? How about after two of them called a turn bet? And it’s not a draw heavy board. If they don’t have an ace, it’s a good place to induce a bluff.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just sat down, no reads.

Ultimate Bet 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds, MP1 calls.

River: (9.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

You have 5 players seeing the turn with you. One of them, if not more, has a weak ace. the others might be calling with bottom pair/a worse king, but their is also a possibily that a K will put a straight on board. I check the turn and see if I have pot odds to see the river for two pair.

The river is a check. If one player bets and the others fold I might call. I will not overcall.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have 5 players seeing the turn with you. One of them, if not more, has a weak ace. the others might be calling with bottom pair/a worse king, but their is also a possibily that a K will put a straight on board. I check the turn and see if I have pot odds to see the river for two pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
How often? Every time? You're missing out on a ton of value if you immediately assume that someone who calls a bet on an A-high flop has an ace.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How often? Every time? You're missing out on a ton of value if you immediately assume that someone who calls a bet on an A-high flop has an ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. This could be a weak Ace, but this could also very well be a scare card donk. I don't mind the bet/fold line here, but without any reads at all I think that I would have checked behind.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:54 AM

Don't we have to be really really certain he has an ace here to make this fold. I know when I started playing, I would call with 2nd pair, and if the high card on the board paired later, I would assume I probably had the best hand. Don't you think some people think this way? I think there is at least a 10% chance he doesn't have the ace, which makes it worth a call.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:05 PM

To those saying there are five opponents on the turn, there are "only" three.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't we have to be really really certain he has an ace here to make this fold. I know when I started playing, I would call with 2nd pair, and if the high card on the board paired later, I would assume I probably had the best hand. Don't you think some people think this way? I think there is at least a 10% chance he doesn't have the ace, which makes it worth a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I thought of as well, there are some players who think like this. That said, when the 2nd ace falls there are likely few players who are calling our bet with a worse hand than our queens. I think I like to check/call the river.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If 5 players see the flop and call my flop bet(being Preflop raiser) I figure an ace a large percentage of the time. Remember that button and sb cold called a raise here (this is not my only reason to think they have an ace, but it is something).

I just noticed something.The hand description says 5 players on the flop, but I only see 4 players in the actual hand, what's up with that?

Anyway, I don't see a flush draw on the flop, and although the board is somewhat connected it is not really draw heavy (unless hand distribution was really something for this one)to make 5 (ok, 4) players smoothly continue to the turn.
OP gave no read and I don't really know how 0.5/1 at UB is like, but if there are no aces around every high card will probably compelete a straight draw for someone.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly. This could be a weak Ace, but this could also very well be a scare card donk. I don't mind the bet/fold line here, but without any reads at all I think that I would have checked behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

A scare card donk check/raise? Do you guys see those often?

bet/fold &gt; check/call &gt; check/fold &gt; bet/call

You give up too much value by check/calling. Opponents will call with worse hands (a weaker queen), but not bet them. Only a tricky opponent is bluff check/raising with a weaker hand, and based on Villain's play in this hand, he doesn't look too tricky. Thus, bet/fold.

Check/call is close because we might induce a bluff from a weaker hand, but against passive opponents, value betting is better.

Bet/call is spewing. If you want the showdown, check/call.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:05 PM

this hand is weird

because I suck I call this river - at .50/1 weird [censored] like 77/QJ will come up

just 5 minutes ago at 1/2 6-max I had someone c/r the river on me with 7 high after calling down with the 7th nut no pair no draw