Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Playing Reads with my Cousin

Had a family wedding this weekend and saw my mother's cousin who has been playing poker for a very long time. He's 60ish and has been playing since he was 21. I got him playing online last year and he has been killing Party's ring games. So I'm showing him hand histories from a WSOP main event qualifier from this year. He was amazed at this hand:

Pokerroom qualifier 400+20 buy in. 200 people started with 2500 chips. Villain and I have been at the same table for about an hour. I have shown down three hands. One where I cracked aces with a flopped straight. (He showed up in the middle of the hand where the guy with AA limped UTG and it turned into a multi-way limped pot all he saw was the turn and the river where the action was heads up and big) that hand put me to almost 20000. I had two all-in calls against short stacks with garbage that caught. So literally all he has seen from me is 67, 105 and 75. In the mean time I have been raising a ton of pots. I am now stealing blinds up to twice an orbit. Plus a bunch of continuation bets taking down pots. I am running the table over.

Villain has been very solid. He has about doubled his stack in the last hour. Mainly through several big bets that where never called and the seven hands he has shown down he trapped with big hands.

18 people left top 6 get a seat and 7,8,9 and 10 get some money.

Blinds 400/800 no ante

UTG 7,250
UTG+1 12,000
HERO 41,300 (3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])
MP 16,555
CO+1 19,400
CO 22,650
BUTTON 33,340
Villain 28,780
BB 30,300

UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, HERO bets 2200, MP folds, CO+1 folds, CO folds, Button folds, Villain calls 2200, BB folds

Flop(pot 5200) K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain bets 8000, HERO calls 8000

Turn(pot 21200) K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain checks, HERO bets 10,000, Villain calls 10,000

River (pot 41,200)K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain checks, HERO

What do you put Villain on? Feel free to criticize every street.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:30 AM

Default Re: Playing Reads with my Cousin

I'm going to bump this for the day. The results will make this hand a little more interesting.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:19 AM

I take it that as you are top stack on this table, you are in the top 3 places overall?
The raise seems OK, though I would call most of the time. I might even fold if I had been running over the table and expected someone to play back at me.
I would fold on the flop as he could easily have a better pair. I don't want to tangle too much with someone who can hurt me in terms of stack size.
On the turn I would check behind and take the free card.
On the river I would check behind as the villain has now put so many chips in it seems unlikely they wouldn't have 3's beat.
I put the villain on a medium pair.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:12 AM

Why is there even a decision on the river? You think he folds anything beating you for his last 8k getting like 6-1?

Fold the flop, you have a big stack in a satellite tournament, you can run over the table until you have a seat locked.

I just don't quite get this hand overall.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:27 AM

OK. Ill bite - he had AQd and you took it down with 3s...

... My line on this hand in this tourney would be to simply limp preflop looking to make a set. If you miss, you can get away from it easy. If you get a set, you win a ton of chips. By raising preflop, you then feel like you have to make a CB, in your case your CB was a bit large. 1.5 the pot is a bit steep. I think you are giving away 1/4 your stack on the turn when you should realize you are beat. Plus with your OESD, you should have definitely taken the free card. If you miss on the river, you can fold to any bet without a second thought. But, since you made the large turn bet and he called -on the river, you have to check it. He will call you with anything and you will lose 6K more. Check it and curse yourself for getting into this mess and giving away half your stack.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is there even a decision on the river? You think he folds anything beating you for his last 8k getting like 6-1?

Fold the flop, you have a big stack in a satellite tournament, you can run over the table until you have a seat locked.

I just don't quite get this hand overall.

[/ QUOTE ]
There is no real decision on the river. The part that is interesting to me is do you try and snap him off on the flop or call for more chips?

FWIW, there is no way I'm folding to a seat here. I am fourth in chips overall and there is still alot of play in most people's stacks so the blinds are certainly not going to eat them up.