Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 05:38 PM

Default 11: How did I play this flopped straight?

Should I bet bigger on the flop? I'd like some action on my straight. Push the turn? Or is it all reasonable?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button (t555)
SB (t810)
Hero (t800)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t610)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t1250)
CO (t775)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls t15, MP1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls t15, CO calls t15, Button calls t15, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t102.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t70</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP3 calls t70, CO calls t70, Button folds, SB calls t70.

Turn: (t382.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t250</font>, MP3 calls t250, CO folds, SB folds.

River: (t882.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Hero Bets 250. MP3 Raises to 515.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: 11: How did I play this flopped straight?

With the paired board I would probably check-call the river. No way am I folding though.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With the paired board I would probably check-call the river. No way am I folding though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I would either shove or check, I don't like the smaller bet.

The rest of the line looks good to me.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't like the value bet on the river? If you can price villian in with a pair on 9s, why not get 250 more chips?

Checking, he'll surely check a 9 behind. (Maybe even Q).
Pushing, he'll fold most pairs.
betting 250, you'll probably get 250 chips at least 20% of the time (20% is completely made up)

If he has a full house, all of your chips will be in the middle by the end anyway, either checking/betting/pushing, so who cares?
Old 11-15-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't like the value bet on the river? If you can price villian in with a pair on 9s, why not get 250 more chips?

Checking, he'll surely check a 9 behind. (Maybe even Q).
Pushing, he'll fold most pairs.
betting 250, you'll probably get 250 chips at least 20% of the time (20% is completely made up)

If he has a full house, all of your chips will be in the middle by the end anyway, either checking/betting/pushing, so who cares?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not like he's always gonna fold a 9 to a push. Yes he may call a bit less often, but then again a push looks more like a busted draw bluff, whereas the smaller value bet looks like, well, a value bet with a strong hand. Also if he has a hand like QT he's gonna call a push but also just call the smaller bet.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you said this, because it's what I was thinking when I played the hand. The little bet was just meant to be a weak-looking wheedling bet that would get him to put as much in as possible. I wasn't sure that my "I'm either going to win this hand or lose all my chips" line wasn't too reckless, and I do take on board what Ilya says here about him being able to save money with some hands I beat. The big issue for me was result-oriented wanting to make sure that it was okay to lose all my chips here. He's got 77.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's not like he's always gonna fold a 9 to a push. Yes he may call a bit less often, but then again a push looks more like a busted draw bluff, whereas the smaller value bet looks like, well, a value bet with a strong hand. Also if he has a hand like QT he's gonna call a push but also just call the smaller bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the value bet on the end, it may even be interpreted as a post-oak