Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2003, 07:26 PM

Default Re: California fires

[ QUOTE ]
If memory serves there was concern that smog was weakening the trees. Now I see that most of the trees were dead, killed by bark beetles. The bark beetle cannot generally infest a healthy forest...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, one more indication that the earth is in trouble.

[ QUOTE ]
Its also interesting that I don't here any testimony from fire ecologists and behaviorists touting the merits of this bill. Loggers seemed to be pleased though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another bad sign.

So we have mismanaged, dying forests, massive loss of the coral reefs (mostly gone now in the Carribean), loss of the Amazon rainforest (talk about fires!), dwindling animal species as a result of poachers/buyers, global warming, antibioitcs and whatever else in water supplies, dairly products and meats... This list is no fun.

Old 10-31-2003, 07:34 PM

Default Re: California fires

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with you that the homeowner should take actions to reduce fire risk. I struggle with who should pay though. If you build in a flood plain should you be eligible for tax subsidized flood insurance?

[/ QUOTE ]

That stretches the boundaries of the analogy - If you create your own danger, you should be responsible. In this case, the danger pre-exists yet communities, etc. have been zoned and planned; and rightfully so as the utility of doing so outweighs the dangers (especially, as other have pointed out, there are better ways to protect from those dangers).

[ QUOTE ]
What measures did your dad take to protect against the bark beetle? My understanding is that healthy trees pitch out the bug when it bores in. Stressed trees are succeptible whether its drought or disease or overcrowding, etc. I read that some 90% of the trees have beetle attacks and wonder if any healthy trees are left.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has some liquid that is mixed with water, then poured in a trench around the tree-base. I do not know much about it other than that it costs about $100 per 32 oz., or so. Healthy trees do pitch out the beetle, however, that assumes adequate water supply. Droughts have made many trees succeptible.

I hope the house you mention in Cedar Glen made it.