Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 08:25 PM

Default 2-7 hand....break or stay pat?

Thanks all for the advice on the hands I posted the other day. Heres a situation that I sometimes find myself in where Im not sure if the correct play is to stay pat or break.

In this hand, do I keep my rough 9 with my opponent drawing 2, or do I break and try to make an 8-6?

Euri10's TD converter

Hand number: 9173777-1748
Level: $.25/$.50
Players:
Button($23) seat 0
SB($35) seat 1
BB($24) seat 2
UTG($25) seat 3
MP($3) seat 4
Hero($38) seat 5

Button at seat 0

SB posts. BB posts.

Hand: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Round 1(0.75BB)

UTG calls. MP calls. Hero raises. Button folds. SB folds. BB folds. UTG calls. MP calls.

UTG takes 2. MP takes 2. Hero takes 1.

Hand: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Round 2(3.75BB)

UTG checks. MP checks. Hero bets. UTG folds. MP calls.

MP takes 2. Hero ???.

If I were out of position this is an easy break isnt it? I would expect villain to only be drawing 1 if I bet out and he called, and thus I should drop the 9?
Old 11-14-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Re: 2-7 hand....break or stay pat?

stand pat. YOu have way the best hand, plus you'll get one more draw just in case. Also, if you stand pat here he could easily break his own 97 on the third draw next time fearing your pat hand. I don't think this one is very close.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:05 PM

I tend to stand pat on any nine (no matter how rough it is) if a player is drawing two on the 2nd draw and i have position. I may out of position as well but I regret it a decent chunk of the time when I do. THe exception to standing OOP is if im playing HU against a good, thinking opponent and I had only been showing down quality hands in this similar situation so far. I stand hoping he puts me on a better hand and will fold without drawing on third unless he has a premium draw. Also another thing to your benefit is your playing at a very low limit where its unlikely you find any good opponents ( i may be wrong but ive never seen any good players at .25/.50) This makes it possible your opponent is drawing to some trash like 765, 578 or similar which makes it even harder for him to catch up to your 9 w/o making a str8.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stand pat. YOu have way the best hand, plus you'll get one more draw just in case. Also, if you stand pat here he could easily break his own 97 on the third draw next time fearing your pat hand. I don't think this one is very close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a feeling staying pat was the right answer. I was looking through my hand history and saw this and I actually broke. Just wanting to make sure Im reasoning correctly.

How about if Im out of position. Suppose I have the same hand and I bet out and got one fold and one call. Now I have to discard first. Do I break in this case?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:44 PM

Stay pat and it is not close, you are a favorite to be ahead at the end if he is only drawing 1, and you have position to punish on the next betting round and play the river correctly.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How about if Im out of position. Suppose I have the same hand and I bet out and got one fold and one call. Now I have to discard first. Do I break in this case?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, OOP I would break that on the second draw.