Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Sit with max when 200 BB is allowed ?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Or does it matter what the others sit with ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Of cours it does, if no-one has more than 110 there is no need to buy-in for more than that, I always buy in for maximum though.

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you do when a player with 110 goes all-in and is called by a player with 105? Then there is one less player at the table but the same amount of money.

Edit: I can see a justification in buy-in short for metagame purposes, but I don't think it really matters at this limit. For most people who are playing 25NL-100NL online, it doesn't really apply since the play is so bad.

If you're taking a shot at a higher limit and are unsure of how the game actually plays, I guess I could see why someone would buy-in short. However, if you're playing scared then you shouldn't be playing at all.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:49 PM

That is actually the only thing I liked about Absolut... but I still split as soon as I cleared my bonus [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

How good is your deep stack game? If you think it's better than the others', the extra 100BB can be a godsend. If you are not willing to stick it all in when the flush gets there and you are faily sure he doesn't have one, there's no point.

my 2c. Interesting what the others said.

Kirk
Old 11-14-2005, 11:58 AM

I just re-read this entire post, and there is some stunningly bad advice in here. Whew.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:33 PM

Concerning the "always buy for max", this is clearly an oversimplification, and wrong.

If all players have a much bigger stack then you, then they are going to make mistakes against you: their play will be influenced by implied odds against other players. If you go allin pre-flop with many callers, it is better if they have deep stacks (compared with averybody almost allIn), as they could start making each other fold pre- or post-flop.

Of coure, if you are the better player, deep stacks alow bigger error from the others...

An other thing: do you feel comfortable when you have acquired a big stack and there are other big stack? I does change the dinamics of the table...

Qwerty
Old 11-14-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An other thing: do you feel comfortable when you have acquired a big stack and there are other big stack? I does change the dinamics of the table...

Qwerty

[/ QUOTE ]

The question you have to answer is does the other big stack feel uncomfortable that I now have a big stack?

Playing a big stack well is much more profitable than using an eternal short-stack strategy. Big stacks know that a good short stacker has only two decisions: push or fold. Makes them easier to read and bully (assuming big stack is also a good player).

I find that when you have a big stack it is much easier to maintain pot control, especially if you demonstrate you are willing to put anyone at the table all-in at any time.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:27 PM

Always buy in for the max if you are a winning player. If the amount of money is too much for you to play comfortably then move down a level and play with 200BB there. Leaving 100 big bets on the table when you have an ace high flush and somone else has a lower flush is not +EV.