Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Table Selection Online

Why are you busting on somebody for playing .02/.04? We all have to start somewhere.

If you're posting in the micro forum, you're not playing high enough to look down on anybody.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i play 2/4 limit on party, and it seems that there are:
a few vpip tables of 18% or so,
a lot in the 20 to 30 range,
and some in the 30 to 40 range,
and scant in the >40% range.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm at 2/4 and I find this to be correct. I just spend 10 minutes or so and I can usually get on 4 tables that are >30%.

If I do manage to get on a table >40%, it lasts for 30 minutes at the most before fish start dropping and are replace by TAGS. After 45 minutes, the table is usually down to around 28%.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:47 AM

wasn't bustin chief
and i know i am low enough on the food chain, that i don't look down at anyone
Old 11-14-2005, 10:49 AM

My comment was directed at Stussy. Sorry about that.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:23 AM

Hey TV.

I started out also at nano-limits grinding it out through each level. First play money, then .01/.02, .02/.04, .05/.10, .10/.20 and am now at .25/.50.

I have seen quite a bit of advice that tells beginners to ignore nanos and start at .25/.50 or even above and in my case that would have been horrible advice. I would have immediately lost a few hundred bucks or freaked out at my first downswing and quit for good.

Anyway, regarding table selection I used the exact same 2 factors you listed as my sole table selection criteria. I quit any table that wasn't at least 8 handed, and looked at PF%. These 2 criteria have served me well through the nanos and I had a relatively easy time making it through.

I am starting to study stuff like relative position and pot sizes for higher limits but for the nanos the 2 you mentioned should be enough, IMO.

Good luck to you.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:43 PM

Table selection on Party is way easy now with PT, PAHud, and the ability to have up to 10 tables open.

I usually have all 10 open, and I cascade the windows so that I can see the table stats. Every so often I'll check through all of the tables to look for fish, since the table averages can be skewed. For instance, you can have one rock with 10%VPIP over 300 hands, but 2 loose passives with 60%...the table average will skew low even though the table is still good, ESPECIALLY if you get the magical seat (to the right of the rock).

I pretty much only 2 table on the 6max nowadays, and I'm always on the lookout for a better table than the one or two that I'm playing on.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This weekend my account balance hit $20 and I'm now taking a shot at the .05/.10 level.

[/ QUOTE ]

hi Tee Vee actually i would recommend that you play 0.02/0.04 shorthanded before you move up to the higher limits. and if you move up to the higher limits without playing shorthanded in your current limit, you might get slaughtered.

i suppose the jump from .02/.04 to .05/.1 isn't terribly big, but beyond that u will definitely need to be comfortable playing shorthanded games at one limit before moving on to the next.

and the best way to do that is simply to play...
Old 11-15-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
right now, i am datamining 10 tables (2-4 party), and the vpip range goes from 17% to 32%. how well does this reflect the tables mentioned earlier in the thread above?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play at party and thinking about the move to play the 2/4 tables there (I've been playing Stars and PokerRoom). I take it from this post that you can get the hand histories of games just by observing them? It might sound like a stupid question but I haven't come across this before.

It would certainly factor into my decision on whether to move or not (plus the fact the VP$IP numbers seem so loose compared to the sites I've been playing)