Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2003, 05:38 PM

Default Re: not showing losers

it's the best thing ever to have all the so called pros at your table think you're a total idiot.

Just make sure they're not wrong. It's doubtful that anyone who wastes a ton of $$ on J6o at least once per session, is a super genuis either.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather have a tight image that everyone is scared of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I think Mason wrote that the best image to have is that of a tight aggressive player. You want opponents to respect/fear your play.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:16 PM

Before my last orbit last night, I made the comment 'last orbit for me, last chance to take my money'. Then, by a huge streak of luck, I received QQ, AJs, AQs, AKo and KQs during my last 7 hands.

The fact that other players thought I had tilted was not a significant problem. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2003, 06:56 PM

I would too, I think it's just a matter of personal preference. lots of people make their money off a loose image and getting their big hands paid off, other people make their money off winning pots uncontested.

I think it's a combination for all of us, a function of how well we are running plus other things (appearance,etc) that make up our table image.

--turnipmonster
Old 10-30-2003, 07:08 PM

Yes, but Mason's advice is for medium to high limits, where winning a few mediocre pots can make a huge difference. If you are betting $10 and $20 per bet.

At LOW LIMITS it's a totally different game. You want to make money with volume pots and volume monster hands. Because people are more willing to call raises and stay in with trash. If you have a tight image you are only discouraging people from paying you off on the flush draws, straights, and sets that make you real money.

Remember, at mid to higher limits, where you are often playing short-handed or heads up, and where a few bets are still a lot of money, you definitely make profits by scaring people out when you have marginal hands.

You don't lose anything by having a tight image because you will rarely be involved in volume pots.

But at low limits, if people are terrified of you, as has happened to me sometimes, since I am ultra-tight, then everyone folds when you raise with AA or KK and you just take the blinds.

It would be much better to get tons of callers when you have AA and KK.

And remember, anyone with poker tracker can tell you that that is where you make your big money. That is what makes you profitable. The amount you milk out of your big pocket pairs.

It would be a huge benefit to have tons of callers, when you raise with AA.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:09 PM

did you mean to say "just make sure they're wrong"?

anyways, i don't know about "a ton of money". but say what you will, i win large amounts of money.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:59 PM

turnipmonster,

It's one thing to want to change this behavior. It's another thing to know why you want to change it. And it's a whole nother beast to get from wanting to, and knowing why, to physically moving those two cards toward the dealer face down, the same way, every time.

I've gone through so many intentional behavioral changes at poker that I've got a little system and maybe it can work for you.

Two types of causes will effect change. One shallow. One deep. The shallow method is short-ranged and has a reward. This is what I use to get over the first step, which is, to do the desired behavior, once. I might use the shallow method many times, in succession or not, before searching for deeper causes that might permanently bring about the desired effect.

In the specific case of mucking face-down while not giving away any information with my body, I found these two words to be at the root of what made this behavioral change so difficult.

Pride.

Shame.

Short range. Just do it, and reward yourself immediately somehow, perhaps by having not indulged in something you normally would, until after you have performed the task. Could be something as simple as a cup of water.

Long range, try really really hard to stop caring so much about what other people think about how you play. On their way home, none of them give a rip.

Tommy

Old 10-30-2003, 08:20 PM

i think i am a very gracious loser - however i have repeatedly been told i am the ugliest winner people have ever seen - i am plainly of the view that when you win you can do whatever takes your fancy

i never show my losers nor say what they were - if you had shown me your kings i would of told you to throw that s*** away - my competitive streak would of rejoiced that you got hurt enough to show me your cards - the prospect of you getting sympathy would be zero

never give gloating scumbags like me the opportunity to do this

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 10-30-2003, 11:04 PM

I rarely show a hand if I don't have to. If I have quads and no one calls my river bet, I'll show it usually. But I will never show a losing hand, no matter what it is. I'll very rarely show a winner.
I see people, all the time, showing their hands at the end of the hand. I especially will see it when someone is bluffing. I guess it's to say "Ha Ha, I got you with nothing, I am such a great player, I can win with nothing, everyone come after me, cause next time I'll have the nuts, Ha Ha."
Personally, I feel no need to give any more information about myself or about my hands. When you show your set of Kings, after you've lost, it just shows you're affected emotionally by the hand. If you are affected emotionally, there's no need anyone, other than yourself, needs to know that.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:52 PM

Default Very well put Bomb N*M