Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 09:17 PM

Default Live at the ACF

8-handed 2/4 (€!) at the Aviation Club de France.
Stacks are between 200 and 300.

Two MPs limp, a tight asian (irrelevant ?) who doesn't raise his AQs MP preflop and a guy whom I saw overlimping with 27s and raising MP after 2 limpers with a8s.

I raise 16 with black aces in the cutoff, blinds fold, they both call.

Flop Jc3c7s (pot 54)

They both check to me, I feel the lose guy would like to make a bad call if it's not too expensive so I only bet 20, MP1 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn 2c (pot 94)

Lag checks his suits (genuinely) and checks.
I put him on a 7 or overcards. I give him a free card, to induce a bluff or let him make a smaller flush. I know he hasn't got the flush.

River 8d (board : Jc 3c 7s 2c 8d)

His hand shakes a little bit and he checks once again, by his betting pattern (calling pattern ?) I put him on a pair (7s or lower) but I don't like this shaky hand, I still think I should milk him 30.

Uh oh, he raises 70 more, I hate myself for being passive and tricky against donks.
I know he hasn't got the flush, I pay cause I'm curious.

Guess (if you wish).
Old 11-13-2005, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Live at the ACF

You bet 20 into a 54 pot. So he was getting over 3.5 to 1 to call that bet (calling 20 into a 74 pot) plus implied odds because you had a hand to potentially pay him off with.

I'd guess he has 9 10 with a club.

edit
(30 into a 94 pot--no wonder he raised you...)

I'd call as well since I think there's a good enough chance he might have nothing; but I think he has a hand you definitely are going to be mad about.

Lesson learned--don't ever make tricky plays against people who are incapable of figuring out what you're trying to do. You only make yourself confused.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:24 PM

Guessing what each player had is sort of a useless excercise. It's irrelvant. You've given us your read-- he has a small pair and no made flush.

Based on previous play, we know the LAG could have anything, besides the stuff you've eliminated (btw, it's a bad idea to elimiate hands. after all, he could easily have red aces or duce seven offsuit here). You told us what he would raise and cold call with PF, but have no reads on post-flop play. So, really, he could have anything. Become a better poker player, and you won't have to post hands like this one.

I call.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:32 PM

Flop sucks.

Turn sucks.

River sucks.

2/3 of pot on flop is fine here-- you have Ac.

If you're checking the turn, you better be damn sure he has a flush.

If you're betting the river-- make it a real bet, 1/2 pot or more. Weak leading to induce a bluff out of a calling station (that more than likely won't bluff you) is notoriously ineffective.

If you had made a real bet on the river, you'd have known you were beat 100% of the time when raised. As is you have no idea, although you're probably no good 80%+ of the time here.

Only good street is preflop.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:10 PM

Betting the turn for about 45 wouldda been good.

Once he check-raises, fold. The beautiful thing about playing against donks is you milk them for the most, but DON'T pay them off when they hit.

Kirk