Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Getting theoretical with 88

Yah I guess maybe I'm being a little too LAG here I took "Assume that you know he'll bet literally anything here." to mean that he would also reraise. So upon reconsideration I guess a calldown is better.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:44 PM

call call looks fine to me. i think marotti chose the best line because marotti himself is capable of 3-betting no pair on the turn against jason_t.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:40 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

call, call, and it feels like crap when your doing it.

You have to do it this way though, because you have to stop certain people from taking shots at you(no this guy, he will always do so and because of that you don't care if he does). You also make the most when he is bluffing by not shutting him down. Raising agaisnt a true maniac doesn't buy us much of anything, and if they are pure and hard core they would never bet before the river with a Q or an ace here. They don't want to lose you when they have a real hand.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:38 PM

if he's definately gonna bet out w/ anything and you are commited to seeing a showdown, do it as cheap as possible. call the turn, check behind or call his river bet. the hands you beat aren't going to pay you off if you raise and a 3-bet from him would be to hard for me to call.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:06 PM

He's laggy see the river as cheap as possible. He could be betting a gut, a small pair, a bluff, anything. Check behind on the river. If this player is the kind to just bet with anything. And play it like your unsure delaying your call. Since you're calling down anyways if your behind you lose the same amount. If your ahead you only encourage him to bet more.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise. Call a 3-bet. Call the river. With the read you've given i dont see why this hand is that difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]
Will you play me heads up?
Old 11-13-2005, 07:12 PM

Calling down pays 2 BB to win 5BB, assuming he fires again even when he's beat on the river. Also gives him up to a 7:1 chance to improve if he's behind with 2 overs.

Assuming he is folding never, calling down seems to make sense unless you think you are ahead and can get 3-4BB from him instead of only 2 by raising.

I am usually calling down. With a good read I have raised for value in similar cases and been payed off. Of course I've been sucked out on (or behind) as well.

Most loose/Laggies that would have hit this flop would have raised pf, and or thrown in a c/r here, so odds look pretty decent you are ahead.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:31 PM

i like raising with that being the last bet i put into the pot. He has many outs to beat you, as I seel him playing JT,J9, KT and all kinds of other poop this way.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:52 PM

I think that every one is overly optimistic here, I would be inclined to call down through the river, but I do admit that 88 is my least favorite hand in hold- em.

Why would he want to bet into this flop with against a PF raiser, few others but a PM (predictable maniac) would do such a thing, not unless this LAG is thinking that you raised with big slick.

Raising would be good here if I know that paint would cause the villian to raise PF.