Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 05:30 AM

Default KQo with ace on board. Just fold and move on?

I did a pretty donkey move on the flop but I think villain might of had a medium pocket pair. Don't laugh too hard.

Villain is 34 vpip with 70 hands. 28% preflop raise.

Paradise Poker 10/20 Hold'em (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (5.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB

Was I supposed to just fold flop and move on? Hate looking weak tight.

Any and all comments + critisism welcome.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:56 AM

Default Re: KQo with ace on board. Just fold and move on?

If you raise the flop, you need to bet the turn. If your opponent WAS bluffing on the flop, you just told him you didn't really have an ace and now he can steal the pot from you on the river.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:01 AM

You played this hand very inconsistently. If you think your KQ is the best hand in this situation, then call the river, If you were trying to make a play to fold a hand like JJ, then bet the turn. I'll assume you were trying to make a play at the pot, you must understand if youre going to do this you must follow up with a turn bet, becuz almost everyone with a hand like TT,JJ,QQ,KK etc is gonna call that flop raise and hope their miracle card hits the turn, and then if they miss they will usually fold to a turn bet, but they cant fold if you dont bet. So you failed to execute, but theres something else I want to point out, you also chose the exact wrong opponent to try this play on. This guy will never ever fold a pair so you are just spewing chips here, the time to make this play is against weak tight type players or solid players that respect your image, those are the type that will fold to the turn bet with a lower pocket pair. In this hand against this laggy opponent you should just fold the flop, all you have is King high, and theres no way you can make him lay down a better hand, and in case your wondering if your king high may still be the best hand here, I wouldnt get that optimistic, against even a lag's preflop 3 betting range king high does not play well post flop with an ace on the board.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:07 AM

34/28 players don't usually fold there. I'm not nearly that loose or aggressive and I don't make a practice of folding there, too many people pulling this [censored] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. That being said if you bet the flop you absoluitely must bet the goddamn turn. He'll peel on the flop there near 100%, people don't 3bet OOP PF then bet fold the flop, it just doesn't happen.

But really you shouldn't raise this flop. DOn't try to outlag the lags, just fold and wait for a better spot.

I remember something TOmmy Angelo said that I liked.

"I had no hand, no read, no position, no momentum and plenty of time to wait for a better spot"

All you have is position of that list.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:43 AM

Each and every one of you gave me very very good insight. I can see it's not a good idea to out-LAG a LAG.

After the flop the turn bet was mandatory I don't get why I checked the turn it really doesn't make sense to me too now that I look at it.

Appreciate the good advice from the three of you very much.