Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: WCOOP Event #2 ($200+$15 PLO w/rebuys, Monday 9/5, 3pm EST)
>1000 7 30.43%
750-1000 6 26.09%
500-750 5 21.74%
<500 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2005, 01:06 AM

Default What idea would get you to vote for a 2008 Pres. Nom.?

What issue/idea/proposal would most likely get you to vote for a canidate who A may not be in your party..Dem/Rep/Lib etc etc and Bmay have several ideas or beliefs that you do not argee with..Pro-choice/Pro-life, Pro-Iraw war etc etc etc.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:18 AM

Default Re: What idea would get you to vote for a 2008 Pres. Nom.?

Its a toss up between flat tax and school vouchers.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:04 AM

I voted for option #1, but I'd also like a push for alternative energy sources in more than just the transportation sector.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:39 PM

Everything you listed except the flat tax would make me inclined to vote against the candidate. However, I prefer sales tax + rebate to a flat tax, and any really meaningful tax reform should replace payroll taxes as well as replacing or revamping income tax. If income tax stays, I would prefer a vastly simplified, moderately progressive tax to a flat tax.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:21 PM

I'd vote for a candidate who promised to tax the rich into oblivion. It's ridiculous beyond explanation how the wealthiest Americans are only taxed 15-20% on their capital gains. I also think we need a wealth tax. Maybe something like just 2% of your net worth for those Americans worth more than $1 million. This would keep the super-rich from receiving all the benefits of living in America without having to pay their fair share.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd vote for a candidate who promised to tax the rich into oblivion. It's ridiculous beyond explanation how the wealthiest Americans are only taxed 15-20% on their capital gains. I also think we need a wealth tax. Maybe something like just 2% of your net worth for those Americans worth more than $1 million. This would keep the super-rich from receiving all the benefits of living in America without having to pay their fair share.

[/ QUOTE ]

What incentive would anyone have to be successful then?
Old 11-13-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the super-wealthy inherit their wealth. They don't work for it. Look at Paris Hilton. The most ditzy, STD-ridden cooch in the entire world who has never lifted a finger to do anything but is still worth millions. Eat the rich.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the super-wealthy inherit their wealth. They don't work for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Citation please.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the super-wealthy inherit their wealth. They don't work for it. Look at Paris Hilton. The most ditzy, STD-ridden cooch in the entire world who has never lifted a finger to do anything but is still worth millions. Eat the rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

You still didn't answer my question.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:28 PM

This is unimportant. As is the fairness or equality of society.

Taxes on the rich don't have a positive effect on the poor. People respond to incentives. Higher capital gains taxes make investment less appealing, which lower capital spending, R+D, and more generally speaking the opening of new businesses. This leads to both lower productivity and less jobs, which ultimately effects the poor. I could go down your list and make similair claims.

Also, the higher taxes get the more likely people are to take money out of the country.