Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 03:59 AM

Default Best Place To Live While Playing Poker?

I was wondering on what all your thoughts are for good places to live and play poker online. This can be anywhere in the world as long as there is good internet connection and the area isn't a "bad" area. Other than that, I'm looking for places with VERY cheap, but good, rent and food for the dollar.

This would most likely be temporary just for a year or two and I'm just looking for a cool place with low cost of living.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Best Place To Live While Playing Poker?

Ann add-on to that. Some countries don't tax gambling winnings. I've heard of people moving oversees for that reason.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ann add-on to that. Some countries don't tax gambling winnings. I've heard of people moving oversees for that reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to denounce your U.S. Citizenship in order to be void from paying taxes I believe. Moving to another country and even getting dual-citizenship I don't believe is enough.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:13 AM

Bastards and thieves all of them. Taxes are such a waste. If I didn't have to pay them I might actually be able to save some money.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:23 AM

Well, it is pretty easy to "cheat?" the tax system. I guess cheat isn't the right word if you are still paying, but finding tons of loopholes is fun.

I'm thinking I want to head out to a tropical area or somewhere in Europe or Asia. I've narrowed it down to about 2/3 of the world, go and do my bidding.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:48 AM

There is other stuff I hear. Like setting up a company and deducting rent and stuff.

Japan is expensive as hell, but worth a trip. If you stay in youth hostels its cheap. Japanese hostels are very clean and very cool places to stay, probably much better then youth hostels elsewhere. I can give you some names.

If your as old as your picture no problem, lots of 40 year olds stay there.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:26 AM

i hear costa rica is good for that. lots of people use it to offshore funds.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:01 AM

norway is pretty decent. winnings (i.e one pot, one tournament win) less than 10k NOK (approx $1,500-$1,600) aren't taxable. live poker isn't allowed tho [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2005, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
norway is pretty decent. winnings (i.e one pot, one tournament win) less than 10k NOK (approx $1,500-$1,600) aren't taxable. live poker isn't allowed tho [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is the rent for places in Norway and Costa Rica? And internet? Keep in mind, I love skiing, but I could see myself taking a break at an exotic like place also. Either way.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is the rent for places in Norway and Costa Rica? And internet? Keep in mind, I love skiing, but I could see myself taking a break at an exotic like place also. Either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Norway is very expensive. You will have more value for your money elsewhere. A lot of people staying in former Eastern Europe like it a lot. I have moved to Poznan in Poland and living here is just great. I haven't been to many other cities, but have heard very many good things about Prague and Budapest.