Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2003, 12:43 AM

Default Re: KQ vs QJs question

As I'm sure other posters have said, there is a concept in no-limit hold'em that doesn't really apply to hold'em. If you are the first one in the pot with a huge raise (most times all-in), your hodlings should not be as particular as when you are CALLING a huge raise. Since Phil was first in with the big money, he faults Farha for calling off money with a mediocre hand. COnversely, If Farha had been the aggressor, and made a huge move with any hand, Phil would have thrown away KQ. Phil is very right in saying that Farha mis-played QJs in that situation, but you must keep in mind that Phil is a huge whiner.

Secondly, QJs has a better chance of winning against ANY RANDOM hand, but heads-up against KQ, QJs is a huge underdog. When Phil makes a huge raise, like he did, Farha should know that he is up against over-cards or a big pair. I haven't seen many professionals make this type of call in a No-Limit tourney, and the reason is because it is THE WRONG PLAY. Once again, Phil is right, and whining about it.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:33 PM

Default Re: KQ vs QJs question

Thanks all,

I hadn't meant this as a specific question about the 2 starting hands heads up but more about these as starting hands in general. Not knowing what had transpired on the table earlier it's tough to say what motivated Sammy to play this way.

What is a bit surprising is Phil knows Sammy can be a very reckless player in No-Limit, he state that in his article, and didn't consider he might go in with a hand like this.

M.B.E. - I want to thank you for the effort you put into the analysis of this hand from the perspective of playing against someone in an early position.

This is my first posting on this sight. Your replies have given me something to think about.