Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Another overbet push

"3bet to like $250"

If sb calls the raise, a blank comes, and he checks the turn, are you taking the free river?

If a diamond river hits how much are you betting?
Old 11-11-2005, 08:49 PM

basically, all your threads can be summed up as, "i have no hand reading ability, and i had something, so i just went allin"
youre really at awful at NLHE catlover... you dont seem to be trying to learn at all.

in this hand, just call the raise...
absolutley DO NOT reraise to 200-250 total as others suggest... they are headed to broketown. that is an awful play.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
basically, all your threads can be summed up as, "i have no hand reading ability, and i had something, so i just went allin"
youre really at awful at NLHE catlover... you dont seem to be trying to learn at all.

absolutley DO NOT reraise to 200-250 total as others suggest... they are headed to broketown. that is an awful play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-11-2005, 09:32 PM

I don't understand the logic behind your play. The minraise builds a little pot and puts you in control of the hand which I hate but I guess its fine. Now you hit a draw where all the money that goes in on the flop is essentially neutral expected value. If you're planning on bluffing here why not bet the pot on the flop and then when you get minraised push. Instead of moving 1.3K into a 160 dollar pot why not push 1.25K into a 350 dollar pot. I think if you run the numbers the villain has to fold about twice as often to make this first play more profitable than the second. If you want to play small ball and then bet when you hit your draw then call the min raise you're getting a great price to suckout.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is, if I don't push, I don't know how to play the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the turn is a total brick...

1. What do you do if he pots it?
2. What do you do if he checks?

If the turn gives you 2 pair or flush...

1. What do you do if he pots it?
2. What do you do if he checks?

I could write more but I have to go. Think through every situation. What feels right? You know this play doesn't feel right. Call is ok. Reraise to take control is ok too. Don't just blindly push. Have a reason for it. Play poker.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The problem is, if I don't push, I don't know how to play the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

hint: it is something we all like to play. it has five letters.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent advice. Call the min-raise. Players love to min-raise with sets or two pair OOP for some reason, so make them pay when you hit and get away cheaply when you don't. if the turn is a diamond, he's forced to make a decision. He may try to lead strongly and represent a flush, while kicking himself for min-raising that flop. If he does you have tons of options. If he checks, depending on your image you can overbet all-in and stack him if he does have a hand as strong as a set. I don't post very often, and am certainly not as experienced as most of the other players here, but I definitely think you're afraid to play NL poker. Think about what you're doing here. You're blowing him off any moderate/good holding (overpair, 2 pair, tptk) and losing a ton of value if your own hand improves (flush, 2 pair, etc.)after he's given you great odds (with his minraise). Conversely, the only hand calling you here most of the time is something like a set, which you're behind to.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"3bet to like $250"

If sb calls the raise, a blank comes, and he checks the turn, are you taking the free river?

1. Yes. I don't want to get checkraised again on a brick turn.

2. As much as he is willing to call.
If a diamond river hits how much are you betting?

[/ QUOTE ]