Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2003, 12:17 PM

Default Re: What do you think about...

The country has changed tiltboy. If your point is that sometimes the majority is wrong, that may be. But people also didn't see the need to have gun control then. So isn't it of course possible that they were wrong then, just like the majority was wrong about slavery?
Old 10-29-2003, 12:29 PM

Homer Simpson of course had the all-time best argument against gun control & the mandatory waiting period before buying a gun- "But I'm angry NOW!"
Old 10-29-2003, 12:56 PM

Are you arguing your point or mine?
Old 10-29-2003, 02:24 PM

I agree this is a poker forum and posts should be kept to poker. But if we can have a discussion about whether women have seen their vaginas then I couldn't ignore this important topic. The Bill of Rights is not a buffet table from which to pick and choose what we like and don't like. Take away our ability to protect ourselves and you and your family will be at the mercy of criminals and bureaucrats. For an example of what the future could look like here if the gun control lobby gets its way, read Ilana Mercer's fine column:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=33945
Old 10-29-2003, 02:46 PM

I personally would be in favor of getting rid of all guns, everywhere, forever.
But given the government's past success in banning alcohol, and their current brilliance in dealing with drugs, why on earth would enthusiasts care what the government decides it's going to do about guns?
Old 10-29-2003, 02:55 PM

Default I think the tie in is individual rights/responsibilites...

I think the tie in is individual rights/responsibilites...and the rights of governments to legislate gambling/gaming and the path from giving up one right to having soneone figure you were an easy target...for taking more rights and privileges.

However, one more point about gun control...and I never had a gun in my home in my life, and only was around one on farms and ranches, except the time I took my son and his friends to a shooting range for a twelfth birthday party.

I wanted them to know the *kick* of a gun without having to be curious if they ever found one unattended...I wanted them to know about gun safety before they had a chance to make one of those life or death mistakes.

I would like to see something similar as a right of passage for all children. P.S. my daughter was only six at the time, and the shooting range wouldn't allow her to actually shoot a gun, but she sure did watch and listen!
Old 10-29-2003, 02:59 PM

Default just because the majority supports taking rights from others...

just because the majority supports taking rights from others...doesn't make it right...the "inalienable rights" are not given or taken by man...without disastrous consequences.

It is a "karma" thing...what you give out, comes back to haunt you...easiest thing is to respect the rights of others, and you don't have to guard your back quite so much, cause other like minded people will help watch it for you!

Poker players certainly should understand the "long run" it works in life too, IMO...and the opinions of many of the world's philosophers.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:23 PM

Homer: I'd like to buy you deadliest gun please

Gun store owner: Aisle six next to the symapthy card.

best episode ever....hands down
Old 10-29-2003, 03:53 PM

A classic.

TVTome has a great episode guide with quotes, cultural references, etc.

http://www.tvtome.com/Simpsons/guide.html

Homer: I'd kill you if I had my gun.
Clerk: Yeah, well, you don't.

Gun Shop Owner: Whoah! Careful there Annie Oakley.
Homer: I don't have to be careful, I got a gun.

"Five days!? But I'm mad now!" -Homer

"I felt this incredible surge of power, like God must feel when HE'S holding a gun" -Homer

J
Old 10-29-2003, 04:53 PM

The problem is when people who have never been around guns, dealt with guns, etc. suddenly decide they need a gun and then runs out and buys a handgun. All they know about guns is from watching Dirty Harry, Lethal Weapon, etc.
That's like the people who watch Maverick and Rounders and immediately flop down at a poker table. Just a recipe for disaster. Neither knows the reality of what they've undertaken.
And a lot of people believe having a gun exempts them from rational decision making.