Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Terrible Players vs. Mediocre Players

I'm sure I'll get flamed or called dumb here, but my problems here could just be a personal problem and not an overall one. I know conventional wisdom says that mistakes=opportunities for $$$ and the more your opponent makes the more opportunities you have to exploit for cash.

I know these players are high variance (I'm typically talking about tournament players with 50-100% VPIP at the 22s) but I have never been successful or semi-consistent in beating them. I'm great at bleeding away big stacks against them with TPTK when they would re-raise all-in with A high, or bottom pair, or maybe it's a set or a straight, I can't tell. This isn't a frustration post, It's happened for over a year, and I'm actually on a solid upswing, but this has always been a problem.

Typically I avoid these players early without a great hand. And then late game I try to just push all-in with better hands, using SNG PT suggestions, however, there are much fewer hands to push with against a player with a 60% calling range. So I run into one of two problems typically, either they call my better hand a couple times with nothing and knock me out (I typically have a smaller stack), or they leave me with no opportunities for bubble aggression and I'm just blinded out. Just looking for some general tips to handling bad bad players. I feel I'm best against players who understand the game but just have poor strategy and play maybe 15% more hands than they should. Against maniacs who are either only having fun, don't understand the game, or are just trying to put beats on someone, I'm frustrated confused and lost consistently. I'm embarrassed to say it, but it's always been true. Appreciate any tips, thanks!
Old 11-11-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Terrible Players vs. Mediocre Players

Have a much higher ITM and win slightly fewer games.

Lori
Old 11-11-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know conventional wisdom says that mistakes=opportunities for $$$ and the more your opponent makes the more opportunities you have to exploit for cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't conventional wisdom, it's a mathematical certainty. You make money when your opponents make mistakes. There are considerations in tourney formats (and probably other rare exceptions) that make it possible for your opponents mistakes to hurt you, but those situations aren't frequent enough to really make a big difference (and I don't feel like digging out TOP to see how exactly Sklansky phrases it).

[ QUOTE ]
I feel I'm best against players who understand the game but just have poor strategy and play maybe 15% more hands than they should. Against maniacs who are either only having fun, don't understand the game, or are just trying to put beats on someone, I'm frustrated confused and lost consistently. I'm embarrassed to say it, but it's always been true. Appreciate any tips, thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think playing good players is better/easier for you, they're either not that good and/or you're wrong. I'd much prefer not to have even a casual 2+2/internet reading player at any of my tables. That said, you do need to try to separate the complete idiots, the marginal players, and the good ones as best you can. And you have to attack each differently, depending on the situation. In the long run, a lot more of your money will come from the complete idiots than any other group, even if in any given game there always seems to be one moron running well.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:59 AM

Well that's largely the point of my post. I can seperate the players very well. I'm ok against good players, I feel GREAT against marginal players, and I feel confused how to exploit terrible players. I know they are the best source for money. But in a tournament setting I can't find out the best way to attack them at all. My conventional strategies aren't that good against them, and I can't force them to do what I want like I can a marginal player. So like I said it's not a belief they're worse to play against than marginal players, it's my inability to take advantage I have a problem with.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:10 PM

The best way to attack them. Play good hands, and value bet them to death when you catch a nice flop.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have a much higher ITM and win slightly fewer games.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my problem at the $11's and $22's. I have like over double the 3rds for 1sts and also 2nds. I know small sample size blah blah blah. But I think Lori is right. Seems like thats the way im making money there right now. I play it sorta safe and try to get ITM and go from there at the low buy ins.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:34 PM

I swear, there is no easier opponent than an idiot. What you have to realize is that your perceived "complex" or "fancy" moves aren't going to work...because of the reasons you outlined. They aren't smart enough to recognize them.

Value bet. Value bet. Value bet.

The opportunities will come and if you're saying they won't, then you're playing impatient or you're not quite as good as you need to be.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:38 PM

Be sure your impression is true. People tend to remember losing to a bad player a lot more than they remember beating one.

Not all players that see 75% of flops are the same. Some are aggressive and some are passive. Some people, and I've heard several say this at live games, think it hardly matters what their whole cards are because everything changes on the flop. They may not be super loose or aggressive post-flop. I know it's hard to get this deep of a read, but it is a bit easier against someone who is playing most hands.

I think there are some good players that play a lot of hands in these games who are doing a good job of giving the impression they will get all their chips in whenever you want them to, but they are just throwing a few chips around to make sure they get paid off when they hit a big hand.

Things you might try:

Try the play money games to see what it is like against a bunch of people who want to see every flop.

Try playing a lot of hands yourself in a real money game.

I haven't done this, but I've been thinking about playing some lower buyin games and playing every hand I can reasonably play. I'll have to wait until Irie's experiment is over unless I get a special exemption for these games. I guess I could just do it in a cash game.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:42 PM

also though doesnt playing for 1st make up for more ootm finishes by getting more 1sts?
Old 11-11-2005, 01:15 PM

please do not take offense to this, I am only quoting from something I once read

"If you can't spot the worst player at the table in the first 30 minutes, then most likely it is you"

I'm thinking you are being too results oriented thinking and therefore concentrating more on receiving bad beats than when you dish em out.

The other thing to consider is that in general, you only know when a hand is played badly by another player because it has been showndown. Bad play happens frequently. Bad play is not necessarily characterized by those players who push money foolishly into the pot on a bluff, but moreso by those who call off their stacks with marginal holdings or against pot odds. Hands that are not shown down, we have no idea what the other player was holding.