Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 07:43 PM

Default AA, loose semi-aggressive opponent, what to do on the River?

The following hand was not played by me, but I had an argument with a friend about it and would like to receive some feedback.

Villain is 77 / 13.6 / 1.06 and is particularly passive on the flop aggression

Party Poker 20.00/40.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.00 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.00 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.00 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ??

1) Would you 3-bet the turn or just call his raise? How close together in value are these two options?

2) Do you bet the river? If yes, how clear a bet is it? Which river cards would discourage you from betting?
Old 11-10-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Re: AA, loose semi-aggressive opponent, what to do on the River?

If you are going to play the river aggressively, a check-raise is better than a bet, imo. I see the following benefits:

- missed draws, and there are tons out there, bluff
- all top pair or better hands bet, winning you 1 extra bet
- some aggressive opponents will bet any pair for value

you lose a bet though if he's raising for a free showdown. How likely is that? After this action, I think the extra bets won from weaker 1 pair hands and bluffs more than compensate for the times you miss a bet because he checks behind a weak hand.

-eric
Old 11-10-2005, 08:41 PM

Given his PokerTracker stats, he is the type of opponent who is calling way more on the river than betting himself.

Instead of getting 2 big bets from top pair / mid pair type of hands we are very often loosing 1 big bet when he checks behind. We really risk that he checks behind with a hand we beat that he would have called with had we bet.

I would only consider check-raising the river here against those opponens who value bet the river aggressively, i.e. genuine 18/10/3 TAGs.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given his PokerTracker stats, he is the type of opponent who is calling way more on the river than betting himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

To the extent that you can divine his river betting habits from the stats listed, this statement is almost certainly inaccurate.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To the extent that you can divine his river betting habits from the stats listed, this statement is almost certainly inaccurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Catt is correct here jedial. Sure, your opponents AF is only 1, but he sees 77% of the flops! that's a lot of aggressive action for a player that will be sitting on marginal and totally missed hands quite often.

You need to tell us how often he goes to showdown to really use stats to predict his play, but the stats you gave suggest that this guy is very aggressive.

good luck.
eric