Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2003, 03:18 AM

Default Strangely played set

Party 2/4 game. Table texture is what I would call random. Bunch of bets and raises with no particular purpose/meaning. WPT crew out in full force I guess, being a Wednesday night and all.

Anyhoo, I'm dealt red 6's in the SB. Four limpers, button raises, I semi-coldcall, BB and rest call. Six to the flop.

Flop - 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check and it's checked around.

Turn - 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check, EP checks, MP1 bets, MP2 and button call, I call.

River - 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet, MP1 raises, MP2 reraises, I coldcall and MP1 calls.

MP1 shows J9h, MP2 shows T7d.

I think a lot of the moves I made in this hand were questionable. How would you have played it?

-- Homer
Old 10-29-2003, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Strangely played set

why no bet on the flop? were you trying for a check raise? i think i would bet out here every time, precisely because a hand like J9 has to pay to hit their gutshot against my set.

the turn i'd play the same, since now you need to improve.

and on the river i would have capped, since i can't imagine someone holding 77 or 88 would have made it to the river with only 1 bet on that board. but then again, at party 2/4, you never know. also, you didn't mention whether the random aggression also meant that there was random passivity, but if not, i say cap the river.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:46 AM

why no bet on the flop? were you trying for a check raise? i think i would bet out here every time, precisely because a hand like J9 has to pay to hit their gutshot against my set.

Yes, I was going for the checkraise. I debated between betting to build a pot and checkraising to knock out gutshots and decided to go with the checkraise. I don't know if it was the best play, though.

and on the river i would have capped, since i can't imagine someone holding 77 or 88 would have made it to the river with only 1 bet on that board. but then again, at party 2/4, you never know. also, you didn't mention whether the random aggression also meant that there was random passivity, but if not, i say cap the river.

Not capping the river was definitely a mistake. I'll go more into the hand reading later, as I'm falling asleep right now.

-- Homer
Old 10-29-2003, 03:58 AM

Flop: looks like an attempted checkraise, but I'd bet out, hoping BB would raise and put the others on an expensive flop call.

Turn: given the way things have gone so far, I think your play is ok. You're probably behind, no reason to jack it up here.

River: After the turn action, you gotta cap it.

Cup
Old 10-29-2003, 04:57 AM

Bet and 3-bet the flop.

Turn is fine.

Cap the river. Most times MP1 won't re-raise here, so you're getting one more bet. When you cap, even if MP1 folds, you'll still get that one more bet from MP2. But, often times, both will call and you'll get 3 bets. It doesn't make sense to give much serious consideration to you being behind here.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:16 AM

Hi Homer,
Seems like everyone recommends betting out on the flop. With a board like that and a PF raiser on the button I would've tried for a CR as well.

Hate when the turn slaps you like that. Looks like you're drawing now.

I can understand why you'd be hesitent about capping it on the river. Those guys seem to be holding the goods everytime you don't want them to. But I would've capped it anyway even if I thought I may be beat. I'd only loose one additional big bet if I was wrong and make 2 more when I'm right (assuming they call).
A hui hou
Old 10-29-2003, 06:19 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 10-29-2003, 07:45 AM

I would bet the flop, since you said these guys like to raise for no reason.

The turn was a bad card, obviously. At this point you were probably kicking yourself for not betting the flop!

I would cap the river. If someone had a full house that beats you they would have bet the flop.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a lot of the moves I made in this hand were questionable.

[/ QUOTE ]

No not questionable, poor.

[ QUOTE ]
How would you have played it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely different:

Flop: Homer, I don't know if you noticed but you flopped a set and there is a possible straight/more likely straight draw out there. I assume you were looking to check/raise the button and shut others out? I don't like this option w/the draw there and many opponents, bet out and hope to 3-bet.

Turn: Well, now there's a straight for anyone holding a 9. Check/call.

River: Homer, you popped your full house, which, I'll remind you, beats a staight, cap the river!

I've been gone too long.

McNabb better rock this weekend, he's killed my fantasy team,
JT
Old 10-29-2003, 09:26 AM

Homer,

I bet the flop I bet the turn and I cap the river.

Your boat beats a straight.