Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Re: How to break off with old high school friends?

I have this problem as well. Well, I think we all do. There are just some people I dont want to talk to. However, I feel real bad when I give a fake excuse to him. Theres no way you can walk up the person and say "I dont like you, dont talk to me again". I usually just keep my distance, ignore the person, and hope he takes the hint. Its worked once.

Im not really that type of person who does that constantly, though. I am a socializer and enjoy talking with people, no matter who it is
Old 11-09-2005, 07:49 PM

Find better friends so you can hang out with them instead of him.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:54 PM

Go to a different school.

No, just kidding.

If he's the one that's always calling you then maybe he'll eventually get the point. I've had a few friends like that before and it seemed like they gradually got the hint. If it's awkward when you guys hang out then there's a good chance that he'll stop calling at some point.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:43 PM

this is a very difficult thing to do without being harsh, immature, or a jerk.

Alot of the ideas here will work, but aside from the guy that said, 'try to help him.' no acual good advice on how to remedy the situation like an adult.

However, if you take the honest route and just tell him the truth. 'we don't click anymore, we're on differant paths, ect.' then he may feel like more of a loser, become really depressed, ect. Thats what makes this such a tricky situation, follow most of the advice above and your either lying or being immature, just be straight forward and you could really hurt him.

So just tell him your gay.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:00 AM

Whenever someone asks me like this, I think they already kind of know what they want to do, and just want some confirmation that it's "ok" to do it.

Basically, you don't like this guy, you don't want to be friends with him anymore. Why is this so difficult? It shouldn't be. You can either A.)take the DIRECT ROUTE and just explain to him that you don't want to be friends anymore. Problem solved.

Of course this is probably a pretty rude and potentially awkward conversation to have, which not everyone (myself included) is capable of having...which leads us to B.) the INDIRECT ROUTE which has already been touched on here. Simply, just don't hang out with him. Most phones have caller ID nowadays, when he calls, just don't answer. If he does get in contact somehow, just make up an excuse why you can't hang out with him. Who cares how lame and unbelievable it is, YOU DONT LIKE HIM! This option will take significantly longer than option A, but eventually he will get the picture.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:48 AM

**** his mom?

Barring that, what about trying to encourage him to get things going in his life? Sounds like he could use a push in his life, and either you separate because of it or he gets some direction and maybe you form a more meaningful friendship.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:27 AM

nice that you have a conscience. i'm finding a dearth of them.

i'd say, return less and less of his calls. if he still doesn't get the message, then tell him that you've changed and you like spending more time alone these days.

--i've had a simmilar problem lately. the returning less and less of the phone calls thing had worked.

kinda sad though.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:29 AM

Send me the guys e-mail address. I'll send him a link to this post. That should pretty much take care of it.