Old 11-09-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Re: UB royal hold\'em

What is the highest limit they spread?
Old 11-09-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 1/2. I'm going to try to work out the math/basic strategy for this game if anyone is intereseted in collaborating on it.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming you mean 1/2 royal holdem? Because I think they've always had 1/2 plain old 6max.

[/ QUOTE ]
1/2 royal (I'm playing 2/4 6-max there now, so I'm pretty sure they've got regular 1/2).

I'm positive that last time I checked it topped out at like .25/.50 (mind you, that was within the first day or two they started - I had to go donk it up for a while).

[ QUOTE ]
NEW! Introducing Royal Hold'em - The ultimate NEW way to play poker!

[/ QUOTE ]
Ultra happy happy fun poker! With 2000% more full houses, because you LOOOOVE full houses!
Old 11-09-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 1/2. I'm going to try to work out the math/basic strategy for this game if anyone is intereseted in collaborating on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it basically (raise) AA, KK, (limp) AK and sometimes QQ preflop, then fold if you don't flop at least top two pair?

That strategy alone kept me pretty busy when I played.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it basically (raise) AA, KK, (limp) AK and sometimes QQ preflop, then fold if you don't flop at least top two pair?

That strategy alone kept me pretty busy when I played.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know I've never played it I was just thinking about simple stuff like probablility of starting hands, odds that others will hit a set or str8, odds of what hands we'll hit.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:29 PM

The zoo had a couple of threads on this last week. I think it's sort of boring once everybody "gets it".

Basic strategy appears to be to muck anything lower than KQ pre-flop. Fold the flop if you don't get at least top two pair or top, maybe middle set. You're looking for top boat or quads by showdown.

I don't yet know if there's any concept of which hands play better multi-way v.s. short handed? I also don't really know if position matters in pre-flop hand selection at all.

A flopped straight is about the worst hand you can get as you cannot improve beyond a straight (assuming you can't make a royal) and are only hoping to chop if the board doesn't pair meaning it has to also be a straight.

Only two pair is even possible below a straight, 3 of a kind is impossible at showdown. Connectedness is worth zero, suitedness seems to be almost zero as well although there must be at least a little value in having the possibility of a royal?

It was fun the first couple of times I played -- there were a couple of people who had obviously didn't realize they weren't playing with a full deck (so to speak). Of the ones that did get it they were still treating hands like TT and JJ as premium hands.

But the last time I played it seemed like everyone at the table was following the same basic strategy I was and it was pretty boring.

Oh, and don't let this crap import into your normal poker tracker database or it will seriously distort your normal holdem hand stats. Apparently it's possible to import some of these now and Pat is working to fix it in the next patch so they will all import.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:44 PM

Actually, I'm thinking of going pro.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A flopped straight is about the worst hand you can get

[/ QUOTE ]
Which is exactly what kills idiots like me who think there are 52 cards.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and don't let this crap import into your normal poker tracker database

[/ QUOTE ]
You can purge the session if this happens. My vp$ip was eighty something over about 30 hands. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2005, 03:57 AM

Okay, the punchline to all this is: I won $30 playing 1/2 6max tonight before I realized I'd been playing Royal. (It was about the fifth "premium hand" in a row that gave it away.)