Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Re: 2005 TOC Update *SPOILERS*

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Eventually, even Steve Dannenmann jumps into things, saying that as a professional poker player, he isn't acting very professionally. They exchange a few more words, and Dannenmann caps it off by saying, "Nobody should buy your books or CDs, because you're a punk."

[/ QUOTE ]

That does it. I didn't like Dannenmann much after the Lederer phone call, but everything ESPN has shown since then has made me think the guy's actually pretty okay. And now, to hear that he told Hellmuth he's a punk? Priceless. How could anybody not like Dannenmann now?

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed ... although these days, if he had posted that here, he would have been banned.

[/ QUOTE ]

So sad, and yet, so true.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think it's ironic that Dynasty was person who originally posted Dannenmann's statement.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:34 PM

Speaking of Dannenman, seeing where he finished in this tournament, does anyone still believe he's the 4th best player in his home game?

He may be the 4th best hustler of all time. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Would have been nice for Corkins to win. At least he wouldn't be as likely to piss away the million so quickly. I wonder how much Matusow sold of himself for this? Hmm, maybe that's why Juanda was so vocal in his support.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, why would Mike 'sell' himself for a freeroll tournament? That doesn't make any sense at all. It's not like he had to put anything up for the entry. Am I missing something?

And maybe J.J. was so vocal in his support, uh, I dunno, because they're ... friends?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, because it was a freeroll, and selling pieces of himself allows him to lock up something and play for the rest. It's common.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense. Thanks for the response.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of Dannenman, seeing where he finished in this tournament, does anyone still believe he's the 4th best player in his home game?

He may be the 4th best hustler of all time. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't want to denigrate Dannenmann (note to mods: this is NOT an insult) but, with the exception of the bluff on Lederer, ESPN didn't really show him outplaying anyone. His win with QQ vs. KJ hand on a KxxA board seemed to more of a function of his opponents mind-boggling timidity than anything else. And his bluff on Lederer, while entertaining, was also bewildering.

I'm going to refrain from results-oriented thinking and take Dannenmann at his word for now.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He may be the 4th best hustler of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]
He plays in games around md... he's a true donkey at heart.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think Phil made a good job. Coming in 2nd last year and 3rd this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coming in 2nd in a sit and go is NOT impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

But this was hardest SNG in the history of poker! This is very impressive. This is what I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

didnt he bust chan w/ 1010 v. chans kings? very impressive indeed!
Old 11-09-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think Phil made a good job. Coming in 2nd last year and 3rd this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coming in 2nd in a sit and go is NOT impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

But this was hardest SNG in the history of poker! This is very impressive. This is what I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

didnt he bust chan w/ 1010 v. chans kings? very impressive indeed!

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to poker. Duke beat Lederer with 6s v 7s. What's your point?
Old 11-09-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Between hands, Matusow remarks, "When I go home at night, I think to myself, "God I wish I was Phil Hellmuth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most poker enthusiasts wish they were Phil Hellmuth.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Between hands, Matusow remarks, "When I go home at night, I think to myself, "God I wish I was Phil Hellmuth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most poker enthusiasts wish they were Phil Hellmuth.

[/ QUOTE ]
hey, he might have a big ego but after all is said Phil Hellmuth is still the best poker player in the world.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:51 PM

Phil Hellmuth has been talking to ESPN in his exit interview, and (not surprisingly) he's had plenty to say. He started out by talking about how freaking lucky Hoyt Corkins has been, because he was pushing all in, all in, all in, and the very few times Hellmuth calls him with premium hands, Corkins has aces or something. He also pointd out that Corkins must have won 70-80% of their blind vs. blind situations. He said the general public won't even be able to comprehend how unlucky he got at this final table.

Now I'm starting to see why Phil Helmuth thinks he's so unlucky.
- When Phil has the best of it and loses, he's unlucky cause his opponent sucked out.
- When Phil has the worst of it and loses, he's unlucky cause his opponent had better cards.