Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 02:18 AM

Default Re: The sports guys latest cowbell

Yep, I hate it when he acts like this.

*addressing Bill*

You're in sports heaven compared to most people, douche, you don't need to be such a bitch when your team loses!
Old 11-09-2005, 05:29 AM

I hate this guy. Over a Primer, everyone cringes when he writes about baseball - and say he's a good basketball writer, or a good football writer, and that's what makes him bearable. But he's not either of those things. When he tries to talk about strategy, or when he (or ANYONE) tries to psych 101 the players, it's embarassing to read.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel the same way. Probably my favorite writer, but still, shut up already.
My favorite angle he takes is the: "Lets pretend the NFL changed the rules to help the Colts even though they didn't change the rules, but rather vowed to 'enforce' the illegal contact rule because they didn't want to admit that the refs screwed up in the 2003 championship game".

[/ QUOTE ]
This is standard fare from people who don't really understand the sport and so it doesn't bother me.
What does piss me off is the way he has begun to insinuate that Peyton is aloof and doesn't care about his teammates. I've never heard anything like this from anyone else, in fact I've consistently heard the opposite.
If it was harmless, it wouldn't be a big deal, but Simmons is a nationally known, very popular writer and he knows his opinions spread far and wide. I think he's trying to poison Manning's reputation the only way he knows how, through unsubstantiated assertions and pop culture references. F him.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...x?name=simmons

I read his articles, he's amussing, but does anyone else think they would want to kill themselves if they were stuck in a room with this guy? Anytime something doesn't go his teams way he comes off as a huge prick.

Just my two cents.

Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

I've met him before... he's really chill, a lot taller than you would expect, and not as goofy as his writing persona exudes.

I dunno, I was in Boston for 5 years for undergrad and grad school, and everyone there loves him. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 10:59 AM

Funny, I think hanging out with him would be awesome. This article is subpar; but whatevs.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:10 PM

He is in complete denial about the Patriots. He needs to see that they just aren't very good this year.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ick. I love this guy's stuff and he usually pulls off the homer routine very well but he just sounded like a delusional bitter fan that doesn't want to admit his team sucks this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. I'm a big Simmons fan, and I thought yesterday that he would have given the Colts a little more credit. He sort of does in the article, but in an underhanded way.

The only defense I'd offer is the fact that as someone else said already, he was probably writing his notes for that in the 4th quarter, when ABC was riding the Colts' jock the hardest. I thought their coverage of the game was just unwatchable, with the way they fawn over Manning. I don't even really care about either team, but I thought the fake Mastercard commercial was just obnoxious. So if I was a Pats fan, I can see how I'd be slightly bitter after the game.

Overall, sure Simmons is a homer for Boston sports. But is there anyone else who writes from the perspective that he does? I think it's entertaining, and at least he doesn't come off as a know-it-all like many typical columnists out there.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:12 PM

This whole thread smacks of:

A- taking him seriously

B- not understanding that the rules change big is just an amusing way to explain that the rules the NFL has put in place happy to really serve the Colts and hurt the Pats.

I agree that Bill isn't the best baseball writer, and that his collumns on Boston aren't his best work. If you can't enjoy him on basketball or pop culture, you have no soul.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This whole thread smacks of:

A- taking him seriously

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it IS about the 7th time in the last month he's mentioned the Colts bye week before the game. If he's joking about that - it's getting old. It's not like the Pats are the Chargers and they play a team coming off their bye every week. Hell, they probably wouldn't even be leading their sorry division if they didn't get a bye before a Primetime home game vs. Buffalo.

[ QUOTE ]

B- not understanding that the rules change big is just an amusing way to explain that the rules the NFL has put in place happy to really serve the Colts and hurt the Pats.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read this a dozen times and I have no clue what you're trying to say.

[ QUOTE ]

I agree that Bill isn't the best baseball writer, and that his collumns on Boston aren't his best work. If you can't enjoy him on basketball or pop culture, you have no soul.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...that even pinning the Puma in "Nintendo Wrestling" was more realistic

[/ QUOTE ]

what a sweet reference.