Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Hero gets out of line in a home game

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think a slightly larger bet has more FE? I'm not convinced that it makes a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you play AA or KK like this, no. Something tells me you don't, which is why I think it makes a difference.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:54 AM

A rocky pre-flop table with a UTG+1 8x open and 3 calls?
Old 11-09-2005, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A rocky pre-flop table with a UTG+1 8x open and 3 calls?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not rocky, just tight. As I discussed, the table tends to smooth call with easily dominated hands like AJo or KQo.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:32 AM

I would call and play for a set preflop, then check/fold if I miss a set on the flop.

But your read was that 99 was probably best, so you reraised. That's ok, but then you got weak on the flop with a $6 bet into a ~$17 pot when villain only has about $10 left. I think it would have been better to put him all in on the flop. Your 99 hand might still be the best hand. AJ and AK (hands you say he'd call with) are still behind (unless they are suited spades, in which case he is slightly ahead). Or, he might have the QJ or QT, no spades, that is ahead, but he can't like his kicker. Of course, you're way behind AQ, KsQs, or even QQ/KK/AA, which are hands he'd never fold. But you'r also behind pairs like JJ or TT, in which case he'd be worrying about the Q overcard and you might have some fold equity vs those with a strong continuation bet like you made on earlier pots. So, the way you played preflop and the size of villain's stack post flop seems to call for a pot sized continuation bet that puts villain all in. Just hope your AK read was right and that TT or JJ fold or even QJ (no spades) fold out.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:37 AM

First, with an early position raise AND 3 callers you should flat call this pre-flop. Flat callers could easily have higher pocket pair, thinking everyone just has broadways, including rasier is quite hopeful. Second, you're OOP. If you're going to raise pre-flop with mid-small pocket pairs you want to do it where you have a small raise in front, and you re-raise to isolate OR you have two limpers and you have position. Finally, you're EP raiser called your raise. He's also saying he has a big hand, believe him at this point and check/fold the flop.