Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Seeking input on flopped trips

Just played the following hand the previous session.

My read on the villian is that he was a pretty decent player that doesnt make any strange 'moves', and a winner at this level. Would appreciate any comments on my play on all streets.

9-handed. $0.5/$1 Blinds. $100 Max Buy-in.

Hero $101.85
Villian $205.32

2 folds, 1 limp, Hero limps with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] , 2 limps, 2 folds, BB checks. 5 Players to the flop:

8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

4 of us check, and the last player bets $4

BB folds, next player calls, and Hero raises it up to $14. Initial bettor calls, and the rest of the players fold.

8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero bets $15. Villian raises to $45. Hero calls.

8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero moves all-in for $41.85. Villian calls.

My thinking while playing the hand:

On the flop I will usually bet in this situation, however this time I decided to mix it up a bit. After the bet and the call I wanted to drive out any straight draws while perhaps keeping the action from worse hands. I felt a raise of $10 should scare away any straight draw, as it is a one-holecard draw.

When the villian calls, that makes me worried. At this time I'm thinking him as having a higher set or a straight. There is also the outside chance he has a single 7, but based on his play so far I doubt it.

On the turn the aim of my bet is to force a higher set to make a difficult decision, and take the bluff away from him - while also hopefully giving me another card for fairly cheap if he decides to slowplay a straight.

Calling his raise was a purely mathematical decision. I am 100% sure he has a straight here, and he is definately going to call my last $40 on the river if I fill up. Its a very close decision though.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Seeking input on flopped trips

Lead the flop. C/r isn't too bad (there are alot of draws, you can take it down now), but I prefer leading. Kind've depends on how much villan will call on draws (reads).

I generally c/c the turn. Cheaper way to fill up on the river.

The river plays itself. You might consider c/r all-in as another play. But looking at the size of the pot, pushing is fine.

Don't post results either, it taints the thoughts of posters before replying.