Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Did I overplay this monster?

Pokerstars .50/1 NL. Don't have hand history, details may be slightly off.

No reads on Villian. Hero & Villian both have approx. $250.

Hero (EP) has J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and raises to $4.

2 Players cold-call.

Villian (SB) re-raises to $15. Hero calls. Others fold.

FLOP: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (Pot $39)

Villian bets $30. Hero re-raises to $90.

At this point I figure he's got an overpair, probably AA or KK. Most PS players at this limit would not let go of that hand, which is why I raised here. I was already counting his chips when...he folded.

He claimed to put me on either trip Jacks or Queens.

Again, I'm thinking against 90% of players at this level, I probably have their whole stack.

Any thoughtss on this line? Should I have smoothcalled the flop & then bet/raise the turn?
Old 11-07-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Did I overplay this monster?

You made a normal sized preflop raise, then called a large reraise. That means (generally) AK, JJ-AA. If i'm playing you with AA and the flop has two of the three hands i'm most worried about, I'm probably folding as well. If you think he has an overpair he's drawing virtually dead.....i'd probably call and let him keep betting it....if you just call it looks like you are on an AQ and aren't sure what to do....your raise pretty much makes confirm his fear on seeing that flop.

All of the above is for a semi-decent TAG at the tables. If it's the normal 56/9 idiot, then I think your method is fine.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:21 PM

What's with the EP min-raise? Make it $8 or $10.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:22 PM

My fault, it's .50/1, NOT 1/2. oops [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 03:24 PM

He's either good, or weak. I'd make a note and ensure that you use that play against him again to steal. He probably had you on a fairly tight range of hands to raise and call his re-raise so you must be relatively tight pre-flop.

If you're positive he would only re-raise with AA,KK PF, then you could certainly have slowplayed this hand. I don't trust me reads quite that tightly, so i'm raising too.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:28 PM

Did he say he folded AA or did he show it? He could have very well had AKs. The way he played this hand that would be my first guess.

If he didn't show his AA I wouldn't believe it. You only raised $4 preflop and then called his big bet. Very hard to believe he could immediately put you on QQ or JJ. I would be more worried about QJs or possibly even 44. I will call big bets with any pocket if the stacks are deep enough and I know I will get paid off against a high pocket pair.

I don't really think you just call this bet. There are a lot of cards on the turn that could really kill your action. Any high card for the most part either scares you or him and the pot is going to suffer because of it. I think you bet the right amount. If you just min-raised him, that could be a lot scarier as you would appear to be trying to get value. Your $60 raise could very very likely be AQ.

Keep playing it like that and you will get paid off more often than not.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:29 PM

That definitely changes everything.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That definitely changes everything.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-07-2005, 03:39 PM

He claimed to have had KK. For some reason I believed him.

I told him I had QJ suited. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Immediatley after he folded, he said "QQ right? Or JJ?"
It's true that many turn cards could hurt my hand, which is another reason for raising.

Despite the pre-flop action on this hand, the table was VERY tight and my table image must have been very aggressive, I was stealing tons of pots (pre-flop & post flop).
Old 11-07-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My fault, it's .50/1, NOT 1/2. oops [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes more sense. Villain likely has AA, KK, or AK in that order of likelihood imo. Flop raise is very good as most 100NL'ers are not folding their overpair here. The chance that he is betting the flop with AK makes me not want to slowplay here.